How Brexit might impact your car journeys

A no-deal Brexit would mean that UK drivers in the EU would need additional proof of insurance: a Green Card.

For some of us, the idea of driving in Europe doesn’t go beyond renting a car for the occasional roadtrip. But for others, especially those who live along the Irish border, it’s a daily commute.

By Remy Maisel

Whether it’s for occasional holidays or daily commutes, if we leave the EU without a withdrawal agreement, there’s another way Brexit might impact your daily life.

At the moment, UK motor insurance satisfies the legal minimum requirements for cover in Europe, so you will have third party cover if you drive abroad. Generally, all you need to prove is that you have the minimum cover is your regular UK certificate of insurance or insurance card. But that may be about to change. A no-deal Brexit would mean that UK drivers – when in the EU – would need additional proof of insurance: a green document provided by your insurer, known as a Green Card. 

What is a Green Card?

The Green Card states that your cover fulfils the EU legal requirements. It’s a physical document and can’t be issued electronically. You'll need to be able to show this on demand.

This doesn’t mean you need to buy any additional cover for driving in the European Economic Area (EEA) or other countries with special arrangements, with the EU, like Switzerland  – although you can if you want to have comprehensive cover rather than just third-party cover. 

How do I get a Green Card?

If you currently have plans to drive into the EEA 1, Andorra, Serbia, or Switzerland and return after the exit date, request a Green Card here – we’ll give you a Green Card for free. You should do this four weeks in advance of your travel. Our Green Card team will start working on your request as soon as possible, and your Green Card will be sent first class on the next working day.

You’ll be asked to fill out a quick online form, just to confirm a few details about yourself – your policy address, car registration number, and where you’d like us to send the Green Card. 

If a Withdrawal Agreement is reached, you may not need a Green Card – but as there’s a strong possibility that there will be a no deal Brexit, we’ve prepared to send them now so that everyone who wants one will get one. Rest assured, we’ll continue to monitor the situation and make sure we’re prepared for anything else that will impact your policies.

Looking for Car Insurance?

Visit our Car Insurance page to see full details of the cover we offer.