How will a no-deal Brexit affect your travel?

Thinking of going away after Brexit? Read this first.

By Geoffrey Chang

The possibility of a no-deal Brexit has thrown the European travel plans of millions of Brits up in the air. Here are some of the changes to expect if there is a no-deal Brexit.

As holidaymakers go in search of warmer climes for the Easter break and beyond, here are some of the changes to expect if there is a no-deal Brexit – and what they mean for your travel plans in Europe.

How will Brexit affect your travel insurance?

All our travel insurance policies will be valid for use in the European Union and provide the same level of cover before and after Brexit.

However, there may be a time that the European Health Insurance Cards (EHICs) aren’t valid anymore. Issued free of charge, they’ve provided wide coverage to cardholders travelling within Europe for more than a decade. Any potential deal is likely to include a reciprocal agreement with the EU member states to preserve the current system. 

But if the UK leaves without a deal, the use of EHICs will become invalid and you could incur medical costs that would previously have been covered by the EHIC system. Make sure you aren’t relying on EHIC to cover any pre-existing conditions that weren’t covered on your insurance. 

Flight delay compensation

Anyone who’s been through the headache of a major flight delay will probably recognise the letters and numbers: EU261. That’s the name of the EU law that ensures passenger compensation if a delay or cancellation is the airline’s fault. The amount you’re entitled to depends on the length of delay and flight distance.

At the moment, it’s still unclear how this law will apply after Brexit. However, the government reassures that “the UK will not fall below the current standards of protection when we leave the EU”.

For more information on UK passenger rights post-Brexit, the government has published a document titled ‘Flights to and from the UK if there’s no Brexit deal'.

How will Brexit affect your motor insurance?

According to the government’s guidance, you’ll still be able to drive in Europe after Brexit -- but although your licence will still be valid, it won’t be enough.

In addition to your driving license, you’ll need physical proof that you have the minimum legal insurance cover required by the EU country you’re driving in. This is called a Green Card.

We’re ready to provide Green Cards to our customers for free, should there be a ‘no deal’. You’ll need to keep it on you and be able to present the physical document, together with your driving license. There won’t be any digital versions.

You might also need an International Driving Permit.

Do you need a Green Card? 


  • If you’re planning to drive in the EU on or after Brexit, you will need a Green Card
  • Even if you have a foreign-use extension on your motor policy, you’ll still need a Green Card to drive in all EEA countries, Andorra, Serbia, and Switzerland after Brexit 
  • If Green Cards are introduced you will need one when driving from Northern Ireland to The Republic of Ireland

Please contact us as soon as possible to request a Green Card if necessary. Try to give yourself as much time before you travel. Once we’ve received your request, we will send your Green Card via first class on the next working day.


  • If you’re travelling to the EU and will return before Brexit happens, you don't need a Green Card.

Request a Green Card

More articles on protecting your things

Find out more about looking after what’s yours.

1 Jun 2020

Households urged to take extra care as number of barbecue-related fires surge

Keep your garden safe

6 May 2020

Five reasons to try a dash cam in 2020

Find out about dash cams

24 Apr 2020

Save money on your property: how to overcome downsizing hurdles

Learn about downsizing

17 Apr 2020

Meet the anxious drivers that learnt to beat the nerves and get back behind the wheel

Beat the nerves

8 Apr 2020

Working from home? Let us give you a little peace of mind that your home office equipment is covered

Find out more

11 Mar 2020

Naming yourself as the main driver on your teen's car insurance could get you into trouble

Avoid insurance fraud

13 Feb 2020

Buying a diamond-studded gift this Valentine’s Day? Here’s one more way things could go horribly wrong

Are you covered?

23 Jan 2020

Hitting the slopes this winter? Alessandra’s accident shows that even experienced skiers need cover

Read more

17 Jan 2020

Confessions of a driving instructor – learning to drive

Learn to drive

16 Jan 2020

Van security becomes personal for millions in the small business economy

Read more

10 Jan 2020

Families more connected than ever, survey reveals

Read more

10 Jan 2020

Counting the cost of an electric car

What’s the real cost?

7 Jan 2020

Are electric cars really the most environmentally friendly choice?

Read more

30 Dec 2019

Why we're stepping up the climate fight

Read more

19 Dec 2019

The office apiaries helping bees thrive

Read more

19 Dec 2019

Ways to make your home eco-friendly

Read more