What happens when I travel to the EU now?

When you drive your vehicle abroad during the transition period, your motor insurance will give you the minimum cover you’ll need by law for each country when driving in the EU, EEA, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland (listed below). You can drive from the UK into these countries without having to show any extra evidence that you have the required insurance. 

Countries where a Green Card isn’t required during the transition period:

EU Countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden

EEA countries not in the EU: Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway

Other countries where you don’t need a Green Card during the transition period: Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland

You'll need a Green Card from 1 January 2021 if you’re travelling in the EU, EEA, Andorra, Serbia or Switzerland to prove that your motor insurance gives you the minimum cover you’ll need by law for each country. If a deal is agreed with the EU that removes the need for Green Cards then we'll update information on our website, so before you travel please check back here for our latest guidance.