Frequently Asked Questions

Ask us a question

You asked: Will my driving licence be valid to drive in the EU after the UK leaves the EU?

In the event of a ‘no deal’ situation, the Department for Transport has advised you will need to obtain an International Driving Permit to drive in the EU. You would need to show this in conjunction with your UK driving licence and Green Card.

The IDP is issued by the Government, via Post Offices. Contact the Government for information on how to obtain one (insurers to do not issue IDPs).

It is important to note that there are different types of IDP. Which one you need depends on which country you are driving in:

  • A 1949 Convention IDP covers these EU countries: Republic of Ireland, Spain, Malta and Cyprus; or 
  • A 1968 Convention IDP (all other EU countries plus Norway and Switzerland)
  • A 1926 Convention IDP to drive in Liechtenstein
To drive in Republic of Ireland you should not need an IDP If you hold a UK driving licence as Ireland does not currently require IDPs to be held by driving licence holders from non-EU countries.

Did this answer your question?

Answers others found useful

Back to top