What can this policy cover?
There is important information on this page that may be difficult to read on a small screen device. You may wish to switch to a larger display.
Healthier Solutions is private health insurance that can help you get prompt, private medical treatment - so that you can concentrate on recovering and getting back to work. Core cover includes benefits to help pay for treatment, accommodation, meals, nursing care and drugs at the hospitals from our networks or the Key hospital list (PDF 2.03MB). Our friendly experts are happy to answer any questions you have about our health insurance and run through what you may or may not be able to claim for, depending on your medical history.
Treatment and care included in Healthier Solutions core cover
The following benefits are covered as part of our core cover. You can also access our GP helpline and our stress counselling helpline (over 16s only) free of charge, 24 hours a day.
- Hospital fees at a facility recognised by us as part of a network or a hospital from your list
- Specialists' fees - up to the limits in our specialist fee schedule
- Diagnostic tests - including X-rays, scans and ECGs
- Pre-admission tests carried out at hospital before your admission to check that you are fit to undergo surgery and anaesthesia
- Radiotherapy / chemotherapy treatment
- Extensive cancer cover supported by our cancer pledge
- NHS cash benefit - you're paid up to £100 for every night you spend having eligible treatment as an NHS patient, for a maximum of 30 nights per person per policy year
- Accommodation for one parent staying with a child of 15 or under receiving eligible treatment
- Home nursing on specialist recommendation following eligible treatment as an in-patient or day-patient
- Treatment for complications of pregnancy and childbirth (as detailed in the policy wording) arising at least 10 months after the mother’s date of entry
- £100 for each baby born to or adopted by a member within a year of birth, although you have to have had the policy for 10 months
- Overseas cover for emergency in-patient or day-patient treatment when temporarily abroad for a period of up to 90 days
- Surgical procedures on the teeth performed in a hospital
- Specialist referred physiotherapy, osteopathy and chiropractic treatment
- Hospice donations of up to £70 for each day, up to a maximum of 10 days
- A private ambulance for transportation to the nearest available facility for eligible treatment as a day-patient or in-patient (if medically necessary)
- Out-patient consultations with a fee approved specialist
- Out-patient treatment of acute conditions, although specialist fees are subject to the limits in our specialist fee schedule
- Out-patient mental health treatment
- GP referred treatment by a speech therapist for children
Options you can add to Healthier Solutions core cover
You may want to add these options to your core cover. They will increase your cover but also increase your premium.
- Other treatment and therapies. These include GP referred physiotherapy, chiropractic treatments, osteopathy and acupuncture. By adding this option, you can claim for up to 10 sessions in combined total. This option also covers minor surgery by your GP for up to £100 per procedure.
- Dental and optical benefits. Eligible surgical procedures would be covered by your core cover, but by choosing this option you could claim for routine dental treatment up to £300, accidental dental injury up to £600 and routine optical expenses up to £200. We apply a separate £50 excess to both the optical benefit and routine dental treatment, per person per policy year.
- Mental health treatment. Choosing this option means that you could claim for both in-patient and day-patient treatment if diagnosed with a psychiatric condition such as schizophrenia or clinical depression. Accommodation and nursing would be covered in full up to 28 days, and associated specialists' fees of up to £210 per week.
- Protected no claim discount. We think it's a good idea to be rewarded for not making a claim by receiving a discount when it's time to renew your policy. But by protecting your no claim discount, we won't penalise you even if you do make a claim. Full details of how our no claim discount works, and how you can protect it, are in our Healthier Solutions brochure, or you can read more in our general FAQs.
- Extended hospital list. If treatment in the Greater London area would be convenient for you, it's possible to upgrade your hospital list to include an additional range of hospitals and clinics. Remember if we have a network for your condition or suspected condition you’ll still need to use our network facility for your treatment rather than a hospital on your list.
Options you could choose to reduce your costs
Choosing these options won't reduce the quality of fast, private care you'll receive with our core cover but it will reduce the benefit levels and also reduce your premium.
What's not included in Healthier Solutions?
Like most private health insurance policies, Healthier Solutions won't cover any pre-existing conditions unless we have expressly included treatment relating to them during full medical underwriting or under continued medical exclusions. There are also some specific treatments and conditions that aren't covered:
Healthier Solutions won’t provide cover for
- Treatment undertaken by a specialist without your GP's referral
- Long term or chronic conditions (we do not apply this chronic condition exclusion to treatment for cancer)
- HIV/AIDS and related conditions
- Treatment for pregnancy or childbirth, although some complications are covered, as detailed in the terms and conditions booklet provided the mother has been on the policy for at least ten months
- Treatment for infertility
- Surgical or medical appliances such as neurostimulators (i.e. cochlear implants) and crutches
- Charges made by a GP, medical practitioner or specialist for completing a claim form unless the claim is confirmed by us
- Alcoholism, alcohol abuse, drug abuse, solvent abuse and other addictive conditions
- Psycho-geriatric conditions
- Kidney dialysis
- Cosmetic treatment (except following an accident or surgery for cancer)
- Take-home drugs and dressings
- Professional sports injuries
- Experimental treatment (limited benefit may be available)
- Treatment required as a result of war, terrorism or contamination by radioactivity, biological or chemical agents
- Self inflicted injury
- Sexual dysfunction
- Sleep disorders and sleep problems such as snoring and sleep apnoea
- Treatment for warts, skin tags or verrucas
- Weight loss surgery
- Varicose veins of the leg unless they meet the criteria detailed in the terms and conditions booklet
What is a network?
We’re developing a number of networks of facilities, specialists or other practitioners that we recognise to provide the treatment required for a specific condition or suspected condition.
By creating networks, Aviva has more control over the treatment pathway. This means we can drive better commercial deals, which helps us maintain affordable prices. What’s more, by controlling the treatment pathway we can give our customers greater assurance when it comes to clinical quality and treatment, and ensure that more treatment can be covered before benefits limits are reached.
Our networks are updated frequently as we work to ensure we get the best possible service for our customers. We regularly add or evolve networks, or in the event that a facility/specialist is no longer suitable for a network we may remove them. Please contact our claims team before arranging any treatment.
Contact our claims team on 0800 158 3344. Our lines are open from 8am-8pm Monday to Friday and 8am-1pm on Saturdays.
Tell us how Healthier Solutions would fit you best
You can phone us direct on 0800 42 42 42, with reference SEL WEB
Full details of cover are in our terms and conditions booklet, which you'll find in the Useful information box on this page. You'll need to complete a form for us to work out the final terms of your policy if we accept your application and, depending on your circumstances, non-standard terms may apply.