Mental Health Pathway – Wellbeing in mind
Mental Health Pathway. Innovative mental health management for 250+ employees
Mental Health Pathway and Mental Health Pathway Plus are options on our Optimum product. They involve tailoring the support that employees receive for their mental health, focusing on personalised clinical care.
Designed to help prevent absenteeism, improve recovery and increase return to work rates, the Mental Health Pathway is a clinically guided journey with evidenced treatment outcomes.
There is no need for employees to wait to see their GP, they can self-refer and our team will put them in touch with an independent clinical provider, CBT Clinics, for an assessment. They will then be able to access the most appropriate treatment option; from remote options such as telephone or video link consultations to face to face sessions and talking therapies.
- How Mental Health Pathway benefits employers and employees alike
A great choice for employees
- Rapid access to treatment – employees can refer themselves for an assessment with a mental health practitioner within 48 hours.
- Clinical treatment determined by front end mental health experts – ensuring the employee is routed to the most effective treatment.
- Cover is based on personalised clinical care – no excess or out-patient limits apply. Treatment continues as clinically appropriate, reducing delays in treatment for talking therapies and unnecessary admission to in-patient care.
- Simple claims process – employees only need to contact our claims teams once. Their treatment is then overseen by our independent clinical provider, leaving them to focus on getting better.
- Range of treatment options – online cognitive behavioural therapy, remote (telephone or video link), face to face talking therapies, psychiatrist assessment and in-patient treatment where clinically necessary.
- Wide range of Specialists – a network of over 2,200 clinicians including: Practitioner Psychologists, CBT therapists, EMDR Consultants, Psychiatrists and Counsellors.
Benefits for employers
- Reduced absence rates – with employees offered an assessment within 48 hours, 98% of those accessing the Pathway between April and September 2018 were able to remain in work during their treatment1.
- Reduces the number of employees working whilst sick – rapid access into our service enables employees to seek the support they need at the first signs of emotional distress, helping them to stay well for both work and at home.
- Supporting employees in managing the current high pressure ‘always on’ society – online support tools and relapse prevention plans for effective self management enabling employees to manage the challenges of normal life after their treatment.
1Claims MI, Aviva, November 2018.
- Mental Health Pathway Plus
Recognising that every company has different needs, we offer an expanded option, Mental Health Pathway Plus, which has the addition of two key benefits:
- All addictions are covered.
- Access to an addictions programme
- Early access to out-patient support, helping tackle the issues before they impact the individual’s work and home-life.
- In-patient treatment where clinically indicated.
- Clinically governed, stepped care pathway.
Removal of the chronic condition exclusion for treatment through the mental health pathway
- We’ve removed any restriction on chronic mental health conditions and have provided defined clinical support for them.
- Front-end clinical assessment and stepped-care pathway for mental health conditions.
- The Mental Health Pathway simple claims process
- Member self-refers to Aviva. Cover confirmed.
- Receive clinical assessment by an independent mental health practitioner within 48 hours.
- Bespoke treatment plan developed based on clinical need. Process reviewed by the CBT Clinics case manager and if required, employee can be referred on for further clinical assessment, where clinically necessary.
- Employee recovers from acute episode. If the episode is more serious requiring further clinical assessment, a treatment plan is developed and implemented by a Specialist. If clinically appropriate, members under Specialist consultation may be referred back to CBT Clinics for onward case management.
- 12 month relapse prevention programme where clinically appropriate.
- Outcome data recorded and fed back into evidence-based model to aid continued outcome improvement.
For details of all the benefit options available on Optimum, visit our Optimum section.
Which documents should you use?
Mental Health Pathway literature is a useful guide for you when you’re talking through the options available to your clients. It’s important that you get to know the brochure well, as it gives full details of both Mental Health Pathway and the Mental Health Pathway Plus option. It will also help you conduct a compliant sale.
These documents explain how the option works
- Mental Health Pathway brochure (PDF 1.4MB) – employer facing pre-sale brochure
- Mental Health Pathway Plus Flyer (PDF 236KB)
Can we help you?
Think of us as part of your team. For help or queries, call us on:
0800 0014 272
9.00am – 5.00pm, Monday – Friday
For policy quotes, please email:
Calls to and from Aviva may be recorded and/or monitored.