Warning for residents in wake of floods

Article date: 28 January 2002

With flood warnings in place across Derbyshire, Norwich Union isurging residents to take immediate preventative measures to helpminimise damage.

Figures from the Environment Agency show that only one person inten takes any action to prepare for flooding.

While Norwich Union continues to lobby the Government for betterdefences to combat future flooding, there are steps homeowners cantake to minimise damage to their homes and belongings and be wellprepared for the worst.

Norwich Union has developed the following advice for residents– but reminds them not to put themselves at risk whilstsecuring their home.

  • Protect entrances and external doors with sandbags, ifavailable
  • Where possible, turn off gas and electricity at the mains,move furniture and electrical items upstairs – don’trisk an accident or hurt yourself by carrying heavy items
  • Ensure you have your insurance documentation to hand withhelpline numbers and other emergency contact numbers
  • If you have time, seal delicate items in plastic bags toprotect them from water damage – but don’t putyourself in danger by spending time going this, when you should begetting to a place of safety
  • Pack a small selection of dry clothes and essentialtoiletries, including any medicines
  • If you are unable to leave your property, fill a vacuum flaskwith a hot drink and take items such as a torch, warm clothing, abattery-operated radio (tuned to the local station for updates)and a mobile telephone (if you have one) upstairs, until thedanger has passed or help arrives. Don’t try to walk ordrive through floodwater.

Nick Pierson, head of household products, Norwich UnionInsurance, said: “There are simple precautions Derbyshireresidents can take to help minimise the damage and heartache floodscan cause.

“But if people have been unlucky enough to already sufferflooding, we recommend they call their insurer’s emergencyhelpline or contact their broker as soon as possible.

“The sooner the damage is reported, the faster insurerscan get experts into your home to assess the damage. However, itcan sometimes take several months for properties to dry out and forresidents to return to their homes.”

To make a claim, policyholders should call the Norwich Union 24hour Clubline on 0800 012345 or 0800 555333 (all calls arefree).

Further information on floods is available from the EnvironmentAgency flood helpline on 0845 9881188 or visit their website atwww.environment-agency.gov.uk


Media contact:
Liz Kennett/Jenny Chapman at Norwich Union on 08703 66 68 63

Notes to Editors:

  • Norwich Union is the UK’s largest insurer. In generalinsurance it is more than 1.5 times the size of its nearestcompetitor, and has a 19 per cent share of the market.l
  • It has a focus on insurance for individuals and smallbusinesses. It insures:
    - one in five households
    - one in five motor vehicles
    - more than 700,000 businessesl
  • Norwich Union products are available through a variety ofdistribution channels including brokers, corporate partners suchas banks and building societies, and Norwich Union Direct.l
  • Norwich Union’s news releases are available on thisinternet sitel
  • A selection of images is available from the CGNU Newscast siteat www.newscast.co.ukl
  • An ISDN line is available for studio quality interviews. Callthe press office 08703 66 68 68l
  • Norwich Union Insurance Limited Registered in England Number99122. Registered Office 8 Surrey Street Norwich NR1 3NGl
  • Member of the CGNU Group of companies and of the GeneralInsurance Standards Council

For all life & pensions media enquiries 08703 66 68 73
For all other media enquiries 08703 66 68 68

Back to top