Article date: 16 July 2002
Homeowners are risking the security of their property, accordingto a study out today.
More than two in five people admit they didn’t give anythought to improving the security of their home when they moved– with a quarter of all homeowners saying that cost was themain turn off.
To help homeowners assess security risks and provide practicalsolutions, Norwich Union’s ‘Home Doctor’ isoffering all customers* – including those who have just moved– a free home locks security survey.
The insurer has teamed up with security experts, HighwayEmergency Services, who will carry out the survey and identify theweak spots, which may pose opportunities for burglars.
Following the locks survey, a Highway Emergency Servicesconsultant will confirm what, if any, work is needed to ensure thehome is safe. And if work is required, Highway will providecustomers with a competitive quote and complete the work ifneeded.
For customers who take up the quotation, Highway will also offerto install a free spyhole and door chain, valued at £65, when theycome to complete the work.
Jill Willis, market development manager for NorwichUnion’s ‘Home Doctor’, said: “There is somuch to do and worry about when moving house, that ensuring yournew home is safe and secure is often not a priority.
“We hope that by offering new homeowners thisno-obligation service, we’ll be taking one less worry out ofmoving house.
“Experience shows that well-fitted door and window locksare the foundation to good home security, and by installingapproved devices, homeowners could also earn a discount on theirinsurance premiums.”
For more information, customers should speak to their usualinsurance adviser or call Norwich Union Direct on 0800 888 222.
Norwich Union ‘Home Doctor’ is the year-round guideto looking after the home, providing guidance, essential advice andoffers to help homeowners keep their homes safe and secure. Moreinformation and advice on a range of issues affecting the home isavailable at http://www.norwichuniondirect.co.uk/homedoctor.
Jane Wheeler/Matt Buchanan at QBO on 020 7379 0304 or Liz Kennett(mobile – 07801 901 666) at Norwich Union on 08703 66 6863.
Notes to editors
* Offer is available with Norwich Union home insurance policiesarranged direct or through an intermediary. Norwich Unioncommissioned Taylor Nelson Sofres to interview 1,000 householdsacross Britain in June 2002.
- Norwich Union is the UK’s largest insurer. In generalinsurance it is more than 1.5 times the size of its nearestcompetitor, and has a 19 per cent share of the market.
- It has a focus on insurance for individuals and smallbusinesses. It insures:
- one in five households
- one in five motor vehicles
- more than 700,000 businesses
- Norwich Union products are available through a variety ofdistribution channels including brokers, corporate partners suchas banks and building societies and Norwich Union Direct.
- Norwich Union’s news releases are available on the Avivaplc website at www.aviva.com
- A selection of images is available from the Norwich UnionNewscast site at www.newscast.co.uk
- An ISDN facility is available for studio quality broadcast.Call the press office on 08703 66 68 68
For all life & pensions media enquiries call 08703 66 6873
For all other media enquiries call 08703 66 68 68