Article date: 17 July 2013
Aviva plc has appointed Alison Burns as Chief Executive Officer of Aviva Ireland. She replaces Seán Egan who stepped down earlier this year for health reasons.
Alison has been Interim Managing Director of Aviva Ireland Health Insurance since August 2012 and has led the company during a time of unprecedented challenge in the Irish health insurance market. She has focussed the business on the customer, providing innovative, affordable market leading solutions, while creating a secure foundation for the business in a challenging and uncertain market. Over the last year Alison has worked closely with industry figures and other stakeholders in the Irish insurance market.
Alison has extensive experience in the insurance industry in the UK where she worked in a variety of senior roles in Santander, Lloyds Banking Group, Bupa and Axa. With a track record of delivering results with a real customer focus, she has worked in life, health and general insurance.
Alison’s first appointment is John Quinlan as Managing Director of Aviva’s General Insurance business in Ireland. John will join Aviva from RSA in Ireland where he held the role of Sales and Marketing Director. He brings huge experience in the Irish insurance industry having previously worked at AON, Allianz and GE Insurance.
Commenting on both these appointments, Mark Wilson, Group Chief Executive Officer, Aviva said, “Ireland has been a challenging market for us over recent years. Yet the appointments we are announcing today - the calibre of Alison as Chief Executive Officer and the experience of John as Managing Director of our Irish General Insurance business - show our commitment to the Irish market.”
Commenting on her new role Alison said, “Very difficult decisions have been taken in Aviva Ireland over the last two years. To the great credit of everybody involved, we are now a fitter, leaner business. I am privileged to have the job of taking us forward and I am delighted that John Quinlan will join my senior leadership team as MD of our GI business. John brings a wealth of experience to our business and will really strengthen our team here in Ireland.”
Alison continued, “We still have some distance to travel but I firmly believe we are well positioned to return to growth in Ireland by offering innovative, competitively priced products that are tailored to meet the needs of our customers.”
Cathy Herbert +3531 8986574
Andrew Reid +44 (0)207 662 3131
Notes to editors:
- Aviva provides 34 million customers with insurance, savings and investment products.
- We are the UK’s largest insurer and one of Europe’s leading providers of life and general insurance.
- We combine strong life insurance, general insurance and asset management businesses under one powerful brand.
- We are committed to serving our customers well in order to build a stronger, sustainable business, which makes a positive contribution to society, and for which our people are proud to work.
- The Aviva media centre at www.aviva.com/media includes images, company and product information and a news release archive
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/media/video/.
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc