Article date: 26 June 2008
Aviva plc ("Aviva") today appoints Mark Hodges, chief executive officer of Norwich Union Life, as an executive director to its plc board with immediate effect. Mark will join Aviva's two existing executive directors on the board: group chief executive Andrew Moss and group finance director Philip Scott.
Mark has worked with the group for 17 years, having joined Norwich Union shortly after qualifying as an accountant in 1991. He previously held roles as finance director and then managing director of Norwich Union General Insurance.
Mark was appointed the CEO of Norwich Union Life, a leading life and long term savings provider in the UK, in April 2006. During this time Mark has implemented a clear strategy which has resulted in significant increases in new business and profits, strong customer and distributor satisfaction scores and a clear cost reduction programme, which he will continue to lead.
Lord Sharman, chairman of Aviva, comments: "We took the decision to increase the number of executive directors on our board and I am delighted that we have appointed Mark, who has an exceptional mix of experience and abilities. I welcome him to the board."
Andrew Moss, group chief executive of Aviva, comments on the appointment: "Mark is an outstanding executive with a rare mix of operational and strategic expertise. He has already developed our UK business significantly and his leadership skills will be an asset to us in delivering our ‘One Aviva, twice the value' strategic vision."
Danielle Anthony, senior group media relations manager
+44 (0)20 7662 9511
Sue Winston, head of group media relations
+44 (0)20 7662 8221
James Murgatroyd/ Ed Simpkins, Finsbury
+44 (0)20 7251 3801
Charles Barrows, investor relations director
+44 (0)20 7662 8115
Jessie Burrows, head of investor relations
+44 (0)20 7662 2111
Notes to editors:
- Mark is a director of General Accident plc.
- In accordance with paragraph LR 9.6.13R the listing Rules, Aviva confirms that there is no information to be disclosed in terms of LR 9.6.13R (2) to LR 9.6.13R (6) inclusive, in respect of Mark Hodges.
- At the date of appointment Mark Hodges has a beneficial interest in 79,856 ordinary shares of the company.
- Aviva is the leading provider of life and pension products in Europe (including the UK) with substantial positions in other markets around the world, making it the world's fifth largest insurance group based on gross worldwide premiums at 31 December 2006.
- Aviva's principal business activities are long-term savings, fund management and general insurance, with worldwide total sales of £49.2 billion and funds under management of £364 billion at 31 December 2007.
- The Aviva media centre at www.aviva.com/media includes images, company and product information and a news release archive.
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit www.thenewsmarket.com/aviva.