Article date: 8 September 2010
Aviva, the UK’s largest insurer, paid out 684 critical illness (CI) claims during the six months to the end of June 2010, totalling over £51 million paid to people in need, with an average payment of £74,740. Aviva also paid out a further £87 million in life insurance to the families of loved ones who have died, or customers diagnosed with a terminal illness.
Key statistics for the first six months of 2010 include:
- Total payments for CI policies were over £51 million.
- In total 684 claims were paid.
- Aviva paid 93% of all critical illness claims, a 2% increase compared to the same period in 2009.
- Claims declined for non-disclosure of medical facts at the policy’s outset reduced to 1%, from 2% for the same period in 2009.
- Cancer remains the most common cause of critical illness claim at 64%.
- Aviva paid out 98.5% of claims resulting from death.
Richard Verdin, protection director at Aviva, said: “We’re here to offer our customers peace of mind, and making a claim is the moment of truth. We’re proud of our critical illness payment record, as it demonstrates that we really do come though when it matters for customers.
“At Aviva we’re constantly reviewing our claims process to make it as easy as possible for customers, especially at such a difficult time. We’ve invested in innovation to do this, including the introduction of telephone claims, which account for 67% of all claims. All customers who call the telephone claims service speak to an experienced claims assessor within an hour. This cuts the time to process the claim by a third.
“The value of these innovations and training in the team is crucial. Our claims team has received a 98% satisfaction score from customers, which is a real testament to the way we deal with customers at this crucial moment and the processes we have in place to make it as easy as possible.”
Customer case studies available.
For further information, please contact:
Aviva Press Office
Telephone: 01904 452791
Mobile: 07800 690963
Notes to editors:
- Aviva is the world’s sixth largest* insurance group, serving 53 million customers across Europe, North America and Asia Pacific
- Aviva's main business activities are long-term savings, fund management and general insurance, with worldwide total sales of £45.1 billion and funds under management of £379 billion at 31 December 2009
- We are the largest insurance services provider in the UK and one of the leading providers of life and pensions products in Europe
- The Aviva media centre at www.aviva.com/media includes images, company and product information and a news release archive
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit www.aviva.com/media/video/.
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc
* based on gross worldwide premiums at 31 December 2009