Article date: 16 July 2001
BRITAIN'S community crime fighters have just two more weeks toenter the Norwich Union Neighbourhood Watch Awards.
The awards, which close on 27 July, recognise outstandingcontributions to crime prevention and community safety made byNeighbourhood Watch schemes and their members.
Prize money totaling £8,000 is up for grabs across eightdifferent award categories, including Co-ordinator of the Year,Community Service award and the Home Secretary's Award for YoungPeople.
John Howell, director general of Neighbourhood Watch said: "TheNorwich Union Neighbourhood Watch Awards demonstrates howNeighbourhood Watch is raising its game and at the same time makinga safer community. As before the outstanding quality of the entriesmeans the judges are going to have a very hard time choosing thecategory winners."
Ben Welsh, director of communications and marketing of NorwichUnion Insurance said: "Neighbourhood Watch schemes help build asafer community for everyone. The awards provide an opportunity forthe 10 million members to shout about their successes over the past12 months and celebrate the role Neighourhood Watch plays in bothcrime prevention and community safety."
Entries are now being called for in the following Norwich UnionNeighbourhood Watch Award categories, with a £1,000 cash prize foreach:
- Co-ordinator of the Year
- Urban Award
- Rural Award
- Community Service Award
- Partnership Award
- Police Award
- Home Secretary's Award for Young People
- Scottish Young Persons' Award
Certificates of commendation will be given to the best entriesfrom every police force area in the UK. In addition, a nationalaward will be given to the overall winner from among the eightcategory winners and will be announced at a presentation ceremonyto be held later in the year.
Full details of the awards and how to enter can be obtained fromthe National Neighbourhood Watch Association, Schomberg House,80-82 Pall Mall, London SW1Y 5HF - telephone 020 7772 3348 ore-mail email@example.com.The closing date for entries is 27 July 2001.
For further media information or to arrange an interview,contact Gabrielle Brewer or Matthew Buchanan at QBO on 020 73790304 or Liz Nicholson or Jenny Chapman at Norwich Union pressoffice on 08703 666 863
Notes to Editors:
- The Norwich Union Neighbourhood Watch Awards 2001 aresponsored by Norwich Union in association with BBC Local Radio,the Home Office, the Association of Chief Police Officers and theLocal Government Association. The judging panel will includerepresentatives of all the supporting organisations.
- Neighbourhood Watch is the UK's largest voluntary movementwith over 5 million households covered by 155,000 schemes. TheNational Neighbourhood Watch Association represents and promotesthe movement in England, Scotland and Wales, and has run theNeighbourhood Watch Awards on an annual basis since 1995.
- Further information on National Neighbourhood WatchAssociation and on the Norwich Union Neighbourhood Watch Awardscan be found at www.neighbourhoodwatch.net.
- Norwich Union Insurance is the UK's largest general insurer -insuring one in five households.
- CGU plc and Norwich Union plc merged on 30 May 2000 to createCGNU plc, the UK's largest insurance group and one of the top-fiveinsurers in Europe with substantial positions in other marketsaround the world, making it the world's sixth largest insurerbased on gross worldwide premiums.
- CGNU's principal business activities are long-term savings,fund management and general insurance, with worldwide premiumincome and retail investment sales from ongoing business of over£27 billion and assets under management of more than £210 billion(figures correct as at Feb 2001).
- From October 2000, the combined life and pensions, generalinsurance and retail fund management businesses in the UK operateunder the Norwich Union brand, while the institutional investmentbusiness operates under the Morley Fund Management brand.
- Norwich Union Insurance Ltd is a member of the GeneralInsurance Standards Council. Norwich Union Insurance Ltdregistered in England number 99122, at 8 Surrey St, Norwich, NR13NG.
- Norwich Union's news releases are available on thiswebsite