Article date: 12 June 2002
Norwich Union has today announced plans to restructure its 34claims locations across the UK.
The decision will see 11 claims centres expand and 11 close,with the other claims sites remaining at their current stafflevels.
By providing more specialist advice and easier access to staff,the restructure – which is due to be completed by the end of2003 – will build on Norwich Union's continuing commitment todeliver an efficient claims service. This will see claims centresdevelop core areas of expertise, such as household or motor.
As a result of the changes, there will be around 750 job losses,although the expansion of a number of locations will see 425 newjobs created. Where possible, staff will be found alternative roleswithin claims, other Norwich Union Insurance functions or elsewhereacross the company.
Commenting on the restructure, Simon Machell, claims director,Norwich Union Insurance, said: “We have made significantimprovements to the level of service we provide and we want tobuild on this further. By developing larger, more specialist sites,we can give brokers and customers easier access to better-trainedstaff, who will have a greater depth of expertise in dealing withclaims.
“Any job losses are regrettable, but we believe thesechanges give our remaining staff longer-term stability and theopportunity to develop specialist skills. Our focus over the next18 months is to invest in training and improved systems to furtherdevelop the claims sites into centres of expertise.
“We’ll be making these changes on a phased basisover the summer – which is our quietest time for claimsnotifications – to ensure there is minimal impact onservice.”
The first phase of closures will take place by the end ofSeptember 2002, with the other sites closing by the end of2003.
Media contact: Liz Kennett/David Ross at Norwich Union on08703 66 68 63
Notes to editors:
- The table below shows the changes to the claims structure:
Expanding claims centres
Maintained at current levels
Claims centres to be closed*
*Other Norwich Union operations may exist in these locationsbut will remain unaffected by the restructure
- Norwich Union is the UK’s largest insurer. In generalinsurance it is more than 1.5 times the size of its nearestcompetitor, and has a 19 per cent share of the market.
- It has a focus on insurance for individuals and smallbusinesses. It insures:
- one in five households
- one in five motor vehicles
- more than 700,000 businesses
- Norwich Union products are available through a variety ofdistribution channels including brokers, corporate partners suchas banks and building societies, and Norwich Union Direct.
- Norwich Union's news releases are available on this internetsite
- A selection of images are available from the Norwich UnionNewscast site at www.newscast.co.uk
- Norwich Union Insurance Limited Registered in England Number99122 Registered Office 8 Surrey Street Norwich NR1 3TA
- Member of the CGNU group of companies and the GeneralInsurance Standards Council
For all life & pensions media enquiries 08703 66 68 73
For all other media enquiries 08703 66 68 68