How does this policy work?
Healthier Solutions is a private health insurance product that can help you get prompt, private medical treatment at a nationwide network of hospitals and clinics. It's designed specifically to help cover the treatment of acute conditions that start after your policy begins (an acute condition is a disease, illness or injury that's likely to respond quickly to treatment so that you can return to your previous level of health).
Importantly for sole traders and the self-employed, the Healthier Solutions product has flexibility built in - you can choose the benefits that suit your needs. We always start with extensive core cover, but you can then tell us which extra benefits you'd like to add or, if you prefer, choose options to reduce the level of cover and the costs involved.
We also know that efficiency is important to business owners. So we've made sure that putting Healthier Solutions into place is as easy as 1, 2, 3...
Step 1 - tell us about yourself
We'll need to find out some details about your personal circumstances and medical history. Asking these questions helps us to build the Healthier Solutions policy that's right for you. You can give us this information in three ways:
Step 2 - tell us how Healthier Solutions would fit you best
Online or over the phone, you'll need to let us know how Healthier Solutions can help you most and which benefits you'd like in addition to the core cover.
Everyone receives these benefits as standard:
- Costs covered for hospital charges
- Diagnostic tests, such as X-rays or scans
- Specialist fees
- Radiotherapy / chemotherapy treatment
Please note - existing and chronic conditions are not covered.
You can also add one or more of the following options, although they will increase your premiums. You'll find more details about them on the What can this product cover? page.
- Dental and optical cover
- Other treatment and therapies
- Protect your no claim discount
- Psychiatric cover
- More hospitals
The following options could help to reduce the costs of Healthier Solutions, but will also reduce your cover. Again, more details are shown on the What can this policy cover? page.
- Adding an excess to your policy
- Reducing your out-patient cover
- Adding a six week option, which means that we wouldn't pay if NHS treatment is available within six weeks
- Having access to fewer hospitals
Step 3 - get cover and start enjoying the extra benefits of Healthier Solutions
Healthier Solutions can help you stay healthy, but it could also help you save money too. Whether you're buying private health insurance for the first time, or switching from another provider, Healthier Solutions can give you the peace of mind that comes with keeping costs under control. That's important when you have a business to run. We include these benefits at no extra charge, with every policy:
- Up to 25% discount at selected gyms
- Up to 72% no claim discount from day one. Currently, 82% of new customers receive 72% no claim discount
- MyHealthCounts - an online plan that can help you understand more about your health and could help you save money at renewal
- Free cover for younger children when taking cover for yourself and your eldest child under 20
- Guidance from a 24 hour GP helpline
- Support with a 24 hour Stress Counselling helpline (over 16s only)
Full details of cover are in our terms and conditions booklet, which you'll find in the Useful information box on this page. You'll need to complete a form for us to work out the final terms of your policy if we accept your application and, depending on your circumstances, non-standard terms may apply.
A no claim discount of 0-72% for the first year is given against our standard maximum premium payable due to previous medical claims. Private healthcare premiums and no claim discount arrangements are annually reviewable. Applications are required and non-standard personal and medical exclusions may apply.
Tell us how Healthier Solutions would fit you best
You can phone us direct on 0800 42 42 42, with reference SEL WEB