To work out how much cover you need, start by writing down how much you think it would cost to replace all your essential tools, trade stock (cost price) and business equipment. Make sure that you include any equipment that you provide your employees with as well.
Once you’ve done that, check your existing policies to see what’s already covered. You only want to pay for cover you need, so there’s no point paying twice for the same thing. You might, for instance, already have mobile phone insurance – and in that case you won’t need to include the cost of replacing your phone when working out how much cover you’ll need.
Our tools, stock and gadgets insurance doesn’t include cover for:
- Overnight theft from a vehicle, unless the keys have been removed from the vehicle, all manufacturer’s security devices have been put to use and any unattached trailers have anti-hitching devices that are put into effect
- Storm damage, malicious damage or theft of property from a soft/open topped or open-sided vehicle
- Damage caused by theft or attempted theft if there are no visible signs of entry to the building, where the building can’t be locked, or if your premises are unoccupied for more than 45 days
- Wear and tear
- Mechanical or electrical breakdown
- Moveable property in the open caused by wind, rain, hail, sleet, snow flood or dust
- Faulty or defective design, materials or workmanship
- Damage caused by pollution or contamination
- Acts of fraud or dishonesty
- Acts of terrorism
- The excess as stated in the schedule which we will deduct from each and every claim
Gadgets include mobile phones, smartphones, tablets, laptops and computers.
If you use your own gadgets for work, they’ll be covered under our tools, stock and gadgets insurance. We provide up to £500 for personal items that belong to you, your employees, customers or visitors if they’re not insured separately (such as through home insurance).
If you purchased your Aviva insurance policy through a broker, please contact them for help with any queries you might have.