Landlord insurance

Home Insurance to protect your property - inside and out

Aviva Home Insurance has been awarded an overall rating of 4.6/ 5from (809 reviews) customer reviews

Here's what customers have to say about Aviva Home Insurance

TrustScore 4.6 / 5 from 809 customer reviews Read all 809 reviews for Aviva Home Insurance

What is Landlord Insurance

Our Home Insurance for landlords covers the cost of rebuilds and repairs if your property is damaged. So you and your tenants can get back to normal as quickly as possible.

Unlimited sum insured

Whenever we can, we'll give you unlimited sum insured for your building. But sometimes certain features of your property mean we have to put a limit and we'll use its estimated rebuild cost. Footnote [1]

Finding leaks

If there’s a water leak causing damage to the home, we’ll cover up to £5,000 to uncover the source and make good afterwards

Alternative accommodation

If the damage is covered by your insurance, we'll pay for loss of rent until your property is fit to live in

Whether you’re a first-time landlord looking at a buy-to-let investment or you have a mini buy-to-let empire Footnote [2], you’ll want to be sure your property (and investment) are protected Footnote [3].

Our policy covers the costs of loss or damage to your building and contents in case of fire, subsidence, flooding and more. And you can choose from combined buildings and contents cover – or take them out separately.

If there’s damage to your home that means your tenants can’t stay there, we’ll pay you for any lost rent until your property’s repaired.

What does Landlord Insurance cover?

What’s covered

  • Cover for your bricks and mortar
    Our Buildings Insurance covers damage to the structure of your property caused by things like fires, floods or theft, as well as subsidence, heave of land and landslip.

    Permanent fixtures and fittings, such as fitted kitchens and built-in wardrobes are covered too, as are outside spaces like driveways, patios and gates.
  • Cover for your contents
    Contents Insurance covers any household items you’ve put into the property such as furniture, carpets or appliances. It doesn’t cover your tenants’ belongings – so they’ll need to take out their own insurance.

    Whenever we can, we'll give you unlimited contents cover Footnote [4], insuring you for any damage to your belongings caused by fire, theft or flooding (with a maximum single item limit for valuables of £2,000).
  • Cover for matching items
    We'll cover the cost of replacing any undamaged items in a set if we're unable to provide an exact match (up to policy limits).
  • Replacement locks
    We’ll cover costs of up to £1,000 for replacing locks to your home if the keys are lost or stolen. This covers external doors as well as any alarm systems or domestic safes.
  • Liability protection for injuries or damage
    As the owner of a rented property, you’re legally required to compensate anyone who’s injured as a result of an accident, if you’re held liable. This also includes damage to their property.

    We’ll make sure the costs are covered – with £5 million protection as standard – and if you need help, you can contact our legal helpline to get professional advice any time, day or night.

What’s not covered

Unfortunately, we can’t cover everything – make sure you’re happy with what’s not covered before you get a quote. For example, we don’t cover theft or malicious damage to your contents or property caused by your tenants.

Make sure you take a look at our policy document to see full details of what's not covered.

Read our policy wording (PDF 668 KB)

What’s optional

Choose optional add-ons at an additional cost to create cover that suits you.

  • Additional cover for fixtures and fittings
    While things like carpet and kitchen surfaces are protected from fire or flood damage by our standard combined cover, accidents still can happen. This optional add-on to your policy covers:

    • Buildings – accidental damage to any fixed glass, sanitary fittings (like a bathroom sink or shower screen), service pipes and cables

    • Contents – accidental damage to non-portable home entertainment equipment, mirrors and glass in furniture (like cabinet doors or coffee tables)

    Add this cover by selecting the ‘limited’ level of Accidental Damage cover when you get your quote.

Take a look at our Insurance product information document for more information about the extras available.

Read our Insurance product information document (PDF 82 KB)

Do you need landlord insurance?

If you’re a UK landlord and you’ve got tenants in your property, it’s a good idea to think about landlord insurance. You don’t legally need to have it, but it can definitely be useful to have in place just in case anything unexpected pops up that you need to pay for. Landlord insurance can give you peace of mind - so if the worst happens, like a fire or storm, your property and contents are covered. You can choose to take out extra accidental cover to protect any fixtures that you own and can't easily move, like mirrors, TVs or speakers, against any accidents.

Ready to get cover?

We’ve got a range of options to help protect what’s important to you.

Policy add-ons

Tailor your policy with our add-ons and get extra cover for your home and belongings. 

How our claims process works

Whatever happens, we’re here when you need us – online and over the phone.

Step 1 of 3

Keep your documents handy

To make a claim, you’ll need your insurance policy number, any photos of the lost or damaged items (if you have them), and any related receipts, quotes or invoices.

Step 2 of 3

Let us know

You can make a claim over the phone or online if you’re registered for MyAviva.

If there’s been an emergency, eg your home isn’t secure after a break-in or it’s not safe to stay there following damage, get in touch with us as soon as you can.

Step 3 of 3

We’ll respond quickly

We’ll get back to you as soon as we can to sort things out. And if you make a claim online, we aim to get back to you within 2 hours.

Looking for more cover?

We’ve got a range of products to protect what’s important to you.

Home articles

Take a look at our latest news and guides. 

Still need help?

 If you've still got a question, find out how to get in touch on our contact us page.