Contents insurance for renters

Protection for your prized possessions

Aviva Home Insurance has been awarded an overall rating of 4.6/ 5from (803 reviews) customer reviews

Here's what customers have to say about Aviva Home Insurance

TrustScore 4.6 / 5 from 803 customer reviews Read all 803 reviews for Aviva Home Insurance

What is renters insurance?

If you’re renting your home, our renters insurance could help protect your prized possessions. It helps to cover damage to your gadgets, cash, clothes, furniture, and even the food in your freezer, from fires, floods and theft.

And if you move home, you can take your cover with you. All you need to do is tell us your new address to check we can still cover you - no need to start from scratch.

Unlimited sum insured

There’s no limit to the overall amount we’ll insure your contents for  Footnote [1]

Personal money

Covers cash in your home up to £3,000, including travel tickets, gift vouchers and phone cards

Moving home cover

Simply tell us your new address to check we can still cover you and then you'll be covered when a professional removal company is helping you move to your new home

As a renter, you won’t usually need to worry about buildings insurance as this is normally your landlord’s responsibility.

What renters insurance covers

Our renters insurance covers your household items including money, valuables, and home office equipment. Plus, you can add extra worldwide cover for your bikes and personal belongings.

What’s covered

  • Unlimited contents cover
    There’s no limit to the total value we’ll insure your belongings for Footnote [1] . Your contents – including valuables up to a single item limit of £2,000 – are protected from loss or damage caused by fire, theft or flooding.

    So whether you’re a cuddly toy collector or a serial shoe-shopper, we’ve got you covered.
  • Cover for matching items
    We'll cover the cost of replacing any undamaged items in a set such as curtains, or dining chairs, if we're unable to provide an exact match (up to the contents and personal belongings limits).
  • Food in your freezer
    We’ll replace the food in your freezer if something happens to it. So if it breaks or you accidentally turn it off, there’s no need to worry.
  • In your garden
    Our cover also gives you peace of mind for the things in your garden, with up to £12,000 worth of protection against theft or vandalism. And if an accident happens – say, the garden fence goes up in flames – we’ll take care of that, too.
  • Contents temporarily removed from the home
    Your contents are protected from loss or damage caused by fire, theft or flooding while temporarily removed from the home and garden to another place (except a furniture depository) in the British Isles, up to £5,000. But if you need more wide-ranging protection, our extra personal belongings add-on will make sure you're covered anywhere in the world.
  • Personal money
    We cover personal cash in your home - including items such as gift vouchers, season tickets and phone cards - as part of our standard Contents Insurance up to £3,000.

What’s not covered

Unfortunately, we can’t cover everything as standard – make sure you’re happy with what’s not covered, including:

  • Bicycles stolen from your garden (unless they were securely locked to an object that can’t be moved)
  • Any motorised vehicles, aircrafts, caravans or watercrafts
  • Misplacing or accidentally losing items 
  • Wear and tear, and the cost of repairing breakdowns

You can take a look at our full policy details to see the full details of what's covered.

Read our policy wording (PDF 668 KB)

What’s optional

Choose optional add-ons at an additional cost to create cover that suits you.

  • Extra personal belongings cover

    We offer optional extra personal belongings cover that you can add to your policy, which gives your possessions more protection against the unexpected.

    This protects individual items up to £2,000. And even if you take your belongings away from home, we’ll cover you for theft, accidental loss, and damage worldwide.

    f you want to cover more expensive items worth over £2,000, we can also help out. 
  • Optional accidental damage

    This is an optional extra that you can add to your policy. While your standard cover protects you against things like fire and theft – accidental damage cover goes much further. We offer two levels of cover – 'Limited' and 'Extra':
  • Limited cover insures you against accidental damage to non-portable home entertainment equipment, mirrors, and glass in furniture (like in cabinets or coffee tables)
  • Extra cover insures almost all of your contents if they’re damaged accidentally – so no need to panic if you spill that glass of red on your cream sofa

    To add this to your policy, simply select the add-on when you get your quote.

Take a look at our Insurance product information document for more information about the extras available.

Read our Insurance product information document (PDF 82 KB)

Do I need renters insurance?

You don’t need to have renters insurance by law, but it’ll help you protect your belongings. Even if your landlord has buildings insurance, it won’t cover any of your possessions. So if you want to look after your valuable items – which might be anything from a phone to expensive jewellery, cash, or even a really tasty frozen pizza – it might be worth thinking about getting cover. 

Ready to get cover?

We’ve got a range of options to help protect what’s important to you.

Policy add-ons

Tailor your policy with our add-ons and get extra cover for your home and belongings. 

How our claims process works

Whatever happens, we’re here when you need us – online and over the phone.

Step 1 of 3

Keep your documents handy

To make a claim, you’ll need your insurance policy number, any photos of the lost or damaged items (if you have them), and any related receipts, quotes or invoices.

Step 2 of 3

Let us know

You can make a claim over the phone or online if you’re registered for MyAviva.

If there’s been an emergency, eg your home isn’t secure after a break-in or it’s not safe to stay there following damage, get in touch with us as soon as you can.

Step 3 of 3

We’ll respond quickly

We’ll get back to you as soon as we can to sort things out. And if you make a claim online, we aim to get back to you within 2 hours.

Looking for more cover?

We’ve got a range of products to protect what’s important to you.

Home articles

Take a look at our latest news and guides. 

Still need help?

If you’ve still got a question, find out how to get in touch on our contact us page.