Buildings Insurance

Your home is your castle – we’ll help you protect it

Get a quote Retrieve a quote

Cover just for your property

Our Buildings Insurance ensures your property's structure is protected if it’s damaged. And with add-ons like accidental damage and legal services cover, you can tailor your policy to suit you. Our Defaqto 5 star rated Buildings insurance starts from just £95 – that’s all 10% of customers paid 1.

Unlimited sum insured

There’s no limit to the overall amount we’ll cover your property for – so you don’t need to worry about being underinsured 2.

Alternative accommodation

If the damage is covered by your insurance, we'll pay for alternative accommodation until your home is fit to live in 3

Finding and fixing leaks

If there’s a water leak causing damage to your home, we’ll cover up to £5,000 to uncover the source and make good afterwards.

Don’t forget, you can take out our Buildings Insurance on its own, or together with our Contents Insurance as a complete Home Insurance package.

What does Buildings Insurance cover?

We cover the structure of your property against damage caused by things like fires, storms or burglars. Permanent fixtures, like kitchen surfaces and built-in wardrobes, are also covered, as are driveways and patios.

What’s covered

Cover for damage, subsidence, and even lost keys.

Damage to the structure of your home

  • Caused by events such as fire, flooding and theft
  • We also cover subsidence, heave of land and landslip

Damage to garages and outbuildings

  • The structure of your garage and any domestic outbuildings are covered as standard
  • We’ll also cover swimming pools, ponds and fountains, hard courts, terraces, and patios

Cost of alternative accommodation (including loss of rent)

  • We’ll pay for accommodation if your home can’t be lived in due to damage covered by your policy
  • And if you’re a landlord we’ll pay you either for lost rent or for alternative accommodation

Replacement locks and keys

  • We’ll pay to fit replacement locks to external doors if your keys are lost or stolen, as well as alarm systems or safes in your home 

Liability protection for injuries or property damage

  • Protection for injuries or property damage (if you’re legally liable as the homeowner)

What’s not covered

Unfortunately, we can’t cover everything – make sure you’re happy with what’s not covered, including:

  • Wear, tear and breakdowns
  • Wet rot, dry rot or frost damage
  • Fences, gates or hedges damaged in a storm
  • Claims for poor workmanship or faulty design

Take a look at our policy wording for full details of what's not covered.

 Read our policy wording (667.7 KB)

Ready to get cover?

Simply select the cover you want when you get your quote.

Take a look at what our existing customers have to say about our Home Insurance.

4.5 / 5 from 1022 customer reviews Read all 1,022 reviews for Home

How our claims process works

Whatever happens, we’re here when you need us – online and over the phone.

Step 1

Keep your documents handy

To make a claim, you’ll need your insurance policy number, any photos of the lost or damaged items (if you have them), and any related receipts, quotes or invoices.

Step 2

Let us know

You can make a claim over the phone or online if you’re registered for MyAviva.

If there’s been an emergency, eg your home isn’t secure after a break-in or it’s not safe to stay there following damage, get in touch with us as soon as you can.

Step 3

We’ll respond quickly

We’ll get back to you as soon as we can to sort things out. And if you make a claim online, we aim to get back to you within 2 hours 4.

Need help? Ask our chatbot

Contact us

Still need help? Give us a call.

0800 068 5984

Monday to Friday: 8:00am - 8:00pm

Saturday: 8:30am - 5:00pm

Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm

For our joint protection, telephone calls may be recorded and/or monitored. Calls to 0800 numbers from UK landlines and mobiles are free.