Cover just for your property
Starting from £67, our Buildings Insurance ensures your property's structure is protected if it’s damaged. And with add-ons like accidental damage and legal services cover, you can tailor your policy to suit you. 10% of customers paid this price 1.
Unlimited sum insured
There’s no limit to the overall amount we’ll cover your property for – so you don’t need to worry about being underinsured 2.
We’ll arrange and pay for accommodation if your home is damaged and can’t be lived in 3.
Finding and fixing leaks
If there’s a water leak causing damage to your home, we’ll cover up to £5,000 to uncover the source and make good afterwards.
Don’t forget, you can take out our Buildings Insurance on its own, or together with our Contents Insurance as a complete Home Insurance package.
Your buildings cover stories
With every new claim there’s a story to tell. Here are some examples of how we’ve helped people get their homes back in order.
When Eric’s tiled floor was damaged by an undetected leak from his dishwasher, it became clear that a large area would need to be replaced. Eric went in to his MyAviva account and made a claim online. We quickly confirmed that we’d pay for the work needed to repair the floor and transferred the money to his bank account 4.
Accidental damage add-on
A bottle fell from Roger’s bathroom cabinet, cracking the sink below. Because it was unique – and part of a suite – he found a match himself and emailed us a quote for its replacement. We approved the claim the next day and sent Roger the money to pay for the repair 5.
What does Buildings Insurance cover?
We cover the structure of your property against damage caused by things like fires, storms or burglars. Permanent fixtures, like kitchen surfaces and built-in wardrobes, are also covered, as are driveways and patios.
Cover for damage, subsidence, and even lost keys.
Damage to the structure of your home
- Caused by events such as fire, flooding and theft
- We also cover subsidence, heave of land and landslip
Damage to garages and outbuildings
- The structure of your garage and any domestic outbuildings are covered as standard
- We’ll also cover swimming pools, ponds and fountains, hard courts, terraces, and patios
Cost of alternative accommodation (including loss of rent)
- We’ll pay for accommodation if your home can’t be lived in due to damage covered by your policy
- And if you’re a landlord, we may cover you for any lost rent while the property is uninhabitable
Replacement locks and keys
- We’ll fit replacement locks to external doors if your keys are lost or stolen, as well as alarm systems or safes in your home
Liability protection for injuries or property damage
- Protection for injuries or property damage (if you’re legally liable as the homeowner)
What’s not covered
Unfortunately, we can’t cover everything – make sure you’re happy with what’s not covered, including:
- Wet rot, dry rot or frost damage
- Damage that’s been caused over time
- Fences, gates or hedges damaged in a storm
- Claims for poor workmanship or faulty design
Take a look at our policy wording for full details of what's not covered.
Get up to 20% off online
Take out our Buildings Insurance online and you could get up to 20% off the standard price 6.
Tailor your policy with our add-ons and get extra cover for your home and belongings.
Choose between 'extra' and 'limited' cover for items from cables and service pipes to home entertainment equipment.
Protected no-claims discount
If you haven't made a claim for 5 years you can choose to protect your no-claims discount.
Cover for you and your domestic partner, as well as any family members living with you.
Cover for labour, parts and materials if there’s an emergency at your home.
How our claims process works
Whatever happens, we’re here when you need us – online and over the phone.
To make a claim, you’ll need your insurance policy number, any photos of the lost or damaged items (if you have them), and any related receipts, quotes or invoices.
You can make a claim over the phone or online if you’re registered for MyAviva.
If there’s been an emergency, eg your home isn’t secure after a break-in or it’s not safe to stay there following damage, get in touch with us as soon as you can.
We’ll get back to you as soon as we can to sort things out. And if you make a claim online, we aim to get back to you within 2 hours.
Looking for more cover?
We’ve got a range of products to protect what’s important to you
Contents InsuranceFrom gadgets to grandfather clocks, our Contents Insurance can help to protect your prized possessions.
Home InsuranceCover for your buildings and contents – the full package.
Aviva ResponseFrom gas boiler breakdowns and blocked pipes to faulty wiring, we can get it sorted.
Take a look at our latest news and guides.
7 Nov 2017
Simple steps you can take to safeguard your home before, during and after a storm.
7 Nov 2017
How to protect your home from heavy snow.
7 Nov 2017
How we work with the Flood Re scheme to insure homes at high risk of flooding.
18 Oct 2017
What to do if a flood’s on the way, from precautionary measures to safeguarding important documents.
7 Nov 2017
Find out how to keep rats, mice and insects from your home.
Need help? Ask our chatbot
1. Based on customers who bought Aviva buildings insurance from 1 June to 15 August 2017, we expect at least 10% to pay £67 or less. Priced individually.
2. Limits do apply for certain parts of cover, such as single item limits for valuables or personal belongings. Unlimited coveer is available for homes built after 1800 and that aren't listed. Your home must ave 5 or fewer bedrooms and be built from brick, stone, slate and tile. Flats are excluded.
3. Applies to homes that are uninhabitable due to damage. We'll cover costs and arrange suitable accommodation (if needed) until your home is ready to live in. We cover up to £80,000 or 20% of your sum insured (or up to £10,000 if you're claiming under Contents cover.
4. Customer feedback received 19 May 2017.
5. Customer feedback received 13 June 2016.
6. Excludes optional covers. Minimum price applies.
7. For our joint protection, telephone calls may be recorded and/or monitored. Calls to 0800 numbers from UK landlines and mobiles are free. The cost of calls to 03 prefixed numbers are charged at national call rates (charges may vary dependent on your network provider) and are usually included in inclusive minute plans from landlines and mobiles.