Cover for short-term trips
Off on a roadtrip? Testing out some new wheels? Need to use your car for work? Temporary Car Insurance cover from our partner Dayinsure gives you all the protection you'd expect from some of our other policies, just for the short time you need it.
Cover from just 1 hour to 30 full days. Add breakdown or European cover if you need it
Get covered straightaway or set it up for when you need it
Comprehensive as standard
You're covered for loss, theft or damage. And if you make a claim, it won't affect your no claims discount on your main car policy
Are you eligible?
To get temporary car cover, both you and the car must meet the following criteria.
As the driver, you must:
- Be aged between 18 and 75 (the minimum age may vary depending on individual circumstances)
- Hold a current, valid, full UK driving license, and have done so for at least 6 months (reduced to 3 months if aged over 25)
- Have a current permanent address as stated throughout this application, (please note you may be asked to provide proof of residence in the event of a claim)
- Have had no more than 1 fault claim in the last 12 months
- Have had no more than 9 penalty points and have had no disqualifications in the last 18 months
- Have had no motoring offence in the last 3 years with the Conviction Offence Code prefixes DR, CD, DD, UT or DG
- Have had no motoring offence in the last 6 months with the Conviction Offence Code prefix IN or CU80
- Do not have any unspent criminal convictions (other than motor offences)
- Have never been refused insurance or had a policy cancelled
- Have permission from the owner to drive the vehicle and you have agreed to insure it as you have responsibility for loss or damage
The car must:
- Is registered in Great Britain, Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man
- Has a current market value of less than £75,000
- Has no more than 8 seats (including the driver’s seat)
- Is not a Hire or Rental vehicle or leased under an agreement of 12 months or less duration
- Is not a seized vehicle or in a police compound
- Vehicle has no engine modifications, body kits, or alloy wheels unless fitted at manufacture or were manufacturer optional extras – unless specifically carried out for a disabled driver or passenger
- Is not imported from another country through channels other than the maker’s official distribution system
- Is not a type of Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV)
- Is not over 3.5 Tonnes Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)
- Has an engine size of 3999cc or less
What's included with Temporary Car Insurance
- Flexible duration
From just 1 hour to 30 full days. Add breakdown or European cover if you need it.
- Loss, theft or damage
Comprehensive cover as standard – and if you make a claim, it won't affect your no claims discount on your main car policy
- Accident recovery
If we can’t fix things at the roadside, we’ll get you to an approved repairer
- Limited European cover
Third-party cover as standard for European trips
- Emergency treatment
Cover for emergency medical expenses if you or your passengers are in an incident
- Legal liability
Cover for up to £5,000,000 if someone's injured or their property's damaged
What’s not covered
Unfortunately, we can’t cover everything – make sure you’re happy with what’s not covered, including:
Any punctures, cuts or bursts – including those caused by braking
- Electrical breakdowns
That’s problems with wiring, electrical components or on-board computers
- Unnamed drivers
We’ll only cover drivers you’ve told us about
Take a look at our policy wording for full details of what’s not covered.
Choose optional add-ons at an additional cost to create cover that suits you.
- Full European cover
Comprehensive cover while you’re on the road in Europe
- Breakdown assistance
RAC breakdown assistance with Onward Travel options. Not available if you live in Northern Ireland
Ready to get cover?
Your cover can start straightaway or anytime within the next 30 days.
How the claims process works
Whatever happens, Dayinsure are on hand to help – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The team will take a look at your claim and work out how best to help you.
We'll review any photos or documents you’ve sent as part of your claim and ask you for details of anyone else involved.
Settling your claim
Aviva will work with you to sort things out as quickly as possible.
Remember, any claim you make won’t affect a no claims discount on any annual policy on the vehicle.
Looking for more cover?
We’ve got a range of car cover options to help protect what’s important to you.
Get support right away
Dayinsure now have staff available seven days a week ¹
Monday to Thursday 9:00am - 5:00pm
Friday 9:00am - 4:00pm
Saturday (closed 12:30pm - 1:30pm) 9:00am - 5:00pm
Sunday (closed 12:30pm - 1:30pm) 9:00am - 4:00pm