Cover for your buildings and contents
Our Home Insurance has what it takes to help protect your home inside and out. And with add-ons like accidental damage, legal services, personal belongings and bicycle cover, you can tweak your policy to suit you and your home.
We’ll cover the cost of repairing damage to the structure of your property caused by water damage, fire and more
There's no limit to the overall amount we'll cover contents in your home for 1. We also provide cover for contents in your garden as standard
If your policy covers the damage, we'll pay for alternative accommodation until your home is fit to live in 2
Who needs home insurance?
Anyone who owns a property should think about getting home insurance, whether they live there or rent it out. Because home insurance can place a protective bubble around the structure of the property and the contents inside it, in case they’re damaged, destroyed or lost because of things like fire, theft, and flooding.
If you’re a landlord
Our Home Insurance for landlords covers the cost of rebuilds and repairs if your property is damaged. So you and your tenants can get back to normal as quickly as possible.
Deciding if you need home insurance
If you own your own four walls, then yes, home insurance is something you should consider. It’s not a legal requirement to have it, but most mortgage lenders will insist you do.
Think about what you’d do if a storm blew the tiles off your roof, or a fire spread its red-hot fingers, or a thief crept into your home.
If your property or belongings were lost, damaged or stolen unexpectedly, could your bank balance stretch to cover the cost of fixing or replacing what was gone? If not, you might want to chuck ‘get home insurance’ to the top of your to-do list.
What our Home Insurance covers
Our Home Insurance protects the structure of your home with buildings cover, and your belongings with contents cover. Plus, you can make your policy your own with our optional add-ons. For more information, see the full summary of cover (PDF 90 KB).
Cover for your property, possessions and more.
- Damage to your property and possessions:
- Caused by events such as fire, theft, subsidence and flooding
- Includes damage to garages and outbuildings and their contents
- Cost of alternative accommodation and loss of rent:
- If your policy covers the damage, we’ll pay for accommodation if your home can’t be lived in
- If you’re a landlord, we'll also cover you for any lost rent while the property can’t be lived in
- Liability protection for injuries or property damage:
- If you’re legally liable as the homeowner or occupier or employ any domestic.
What's not covered
Unfortunately, we can’t cover everything – make sure you’re happy with what’s not covered, including:
- Wet rot, dry rot or frost damage
- Damage that has been caused over time
- Fences, gates or hedges damaged in a storm
- Claims for poor workmanship or faulty design
See our policy wording for full details of what's not covered.
Why choose us?
We're proud that our cover's 5 Star rated by Defaqto – a trusted industry expert.
- It takes a name you can trust
Over 625k people protect their home with Aviva 3
- We’ve got heritage
We’ve been protecting customers for over 325 years
- You can count on us
We settled 88% of all home insurance claims in 2021
If you already have insurance with us, you'll find the documents for your policy in MyAviva.
Tweak your policy with our add-ons and bump up the cover for your home if you need to.
Protected No Claim Discount
Protect your No Claim Discount (NCD) and you can make up to two claims in five years without losing any of your hard-earned NCD.
Get expert legal advice for a range of issues, from employment law to property disputes, with our 24-hour legal helpline and up to £100,000 in legal costs per claim for you, your domestic partner, and any family members living with you.
Get protected if the unexpected happens at your home, for example, if your heating breaks down. Cover for labour, parts, and materials if there’s an emergency.
Extra personal belongings
Additional cover for your belongings in and away from your home, both in the UK and worldwide. Including, but not limited to, personal money and credit cards.
Choose between two levels of cover, either ‘extra’ and ‘limited’, to protect items in your home from accidental damage, such as your home entertainment equipment.
Things that affect the cost of home insurance
Your home insurance price
Just like baking a cake, there are a variety of ingredients that mix together to decide how much you pay for home insurance.
Some are specific to you, like where you live or any past claims you’ve had. Others are to do with the world around you and what’s happening in the insurance market, like if we’ve been battered by a Beast from the East recently or there has been a rise in claims overall.
Find out more information about how we calculate your home insurance price.
What you need to get a home insurance quote
With our Home Insurance we’ve cut the questions to save you time when getting a quote.
You'll just need to tell us:
- Personal information – the usual information like your name, as well as details of any home insurance claims you’ve made in the last five years.
- Property details – things like your postcode, if you own your home, and if you live there permanently or not.
- Your belongings – you’ll need to tell us about any valuables you have that are worth more than £2,000. Valuables are stamp, coin or medal collections, pictures, other works of art, items of gold, silver, other precious metal, jewellery or watches.
- Policy details – pick your excess amount and any optional add-ons you want.
To help avoid some of the tricky questions, we'll make certain assumptions about your home instead. For example, that there’s no more than five bedrooms or that it hasn’t flooded before. You’ll need to check these assumptions and let us know if any aren’t true for you or your property.
If you’re looking for something different
We've got a range of other options to protect what's important to you.
From porches to patios, our Buildings Insurance helps to protect the structure of your property.
From gadgets to grandfather clocks, our Contents Insurance can help to protect your prized possessions.
Tenants and Renters Insurance
Discover how our Contents Insurance for tenants can help protect your possessions in your rented home.
Still need help?
If you’ve still got a question, find out how to get in touch on our contact us page.