Life insurance for your young family
Being there for your baby or toddler happens in so many meaningful ways, day after day. From 3am feeds and wobbly early steps to waving them off at nursery for the first time. While it may seem like a dot in the distance, planning for the day when you’re no longer around can be just as important.
Our free parent life cover can be a stepping stone towards filling in any future holes in your family’s finances. There are no sums to untangle, just two or three minutes of filling in the online form – and the halo of protection starts the second you hit ‘submit’.
You could see it as a year’s thinking time to draw up more detailed life insurance plans if you want to. Or use our free parent cover side-by-side with longer-term cover to boost your total cover amount for the 12 months ahead.
The benefits of our free Free Parent Life Cover
Our Free Parent Life Cover is a good starting point to protect your family’s future, with an entire year of free life insurance. It offers £15,000 of cover for each parent, for each child, completely free. We won’t even ask for your bank details.
Both you and your partner can take out a separate policy for each of your children, from birth or before their fourth birthday. So, you could get life insurance worth £30,000 for each eligible child if both parents apply.
Remember, each parent can only take out this cover once for each child, and it only lasts a year. You can take out free parent life cover alongside any other life insurance policy you have.
Are you eligible for free parent life cover?
You can apply for this cover if:
- You're aged 18-66 and a permanent UK resident
- You have a child under four years old and are named as a parent on their birth certificate, full adoption certificate, special guardianship order, or final residence order
- You've not had any medical diagnosis or treatment for cancer, including for leukaemia and lymphoma, within the last 12 months
- You haven’t taken out this policy for the same child before
Life insurance for the long-term
Your life insurance cover amount is how much money we'll give the important people in your life if you die during the time that you're covered. So you might want to make life insurance more than just a 12-month thing.
Our Life Insurance Plan can stretch that financial security blanket across many years ahead – even decades. You can take this out from just £5 a month, or pay more to give your policy deeper pockets in terms of cover amounts.
Some choose to switch it on once the Free Parent Life Cover has finished, others run the two hand-in-hand for a boosted cover amount for 12 months.
Find out more about our life insurance.
How much cover will I need?
It’s worth totting up how much your family might need to pay off a mortgage or keep up repayments, settle any debts and cover general living costs. We have a life insurance calculator tool to do just that.
How our life insurance plans compare
Free parent life cover
- £15,000 cover
- Free 12 months cover only
- You need to be aged 18 to 66 to take it out
- Parents can apply for separate policies for each child under four
- You can have free parent life cover and one of our life insurance plans at the same time
- Starts from only £5 per month – the higher your cover amount, the more it costs
- Choose cover lasting up to 50 years – or until you're 90
- You need to be aged from 18 to 77 to take it out
- Cover is 5 star rated by Defaqto
- We paid out 99.4% of life insurance claims in 2022
- Includes access to the Aviva DigiCare+ health and wellbeing app (provided by Square Health) at no extra cost, helping you enjoy life today. Be aware that this isn't part of your cover and we can amend or remove this at any time
How much does cover cost?
Free parent life cover costs £0 per month for £15,000 of cover for each policy for one year.
Our life insurance plan can start from as little as £5 a month. It’s flexible, which means you can pick a total cover amount or base it on how much you pay per month.
What our free parent life insurance covers
What we’ll give you
When we can’t pay out
If you have any questions about our free parent cover, give us a call
Monday to Friday 8:00am - 6:00pm
Weekends and bank holidays: Closed
Calls may be monitored or recorded. Calls to 0800 numbers from UK landlines and mobiles are free.Our opening hours may be different depending on which team you need to speak to.
Our life insurance library
Browse our guides and articles that focus on the ins and outs of looking after your family once you're gone.