Life insurance for your young family
Chubby knees, tiny pink fingernails, gummy smiles, babbling and baby powder... when you welcome a new baby into your life or you’ve got a young toddler, thinking about what their future holds is natural.
Our Free Parent Life Cover is a good first step in making sure they, and the rest of your family, are protected if the unexpected happens. It’s an opportunity to get something in place while you consider your long-term life insurance options, or it’s an extra boost to any protection you already have.
What you get with our Free Parent Life Cover
Our Free Parent Life Cover is a good starting point to protect your family’s future, with an entire year of free life insurance. It offers £15,000 of cover for each parent, for each child, completely free. We won’t even ask for your bank details.
Both you and your partner can take out a separate policy for all your children, from birth or before their fourth birthday. So, you could get life insurance worth £30,000 for each eligible child if both parents apply.
We won’t charge you a penny – no need to tell us your bank details, and you’ll be covered for a year
£15,000 worth of cover
Each parent can apply for one policy per child worth £15,000. We’ll pay the full amount if you die within the policy term, and the claim's valid
Cover for all your children
Apply from birth or any time before their fourth birthday
It’s quick and easy to sign-up for and if you die during the 12 months of cover, we’ll pay out a lump sum to help your loved ones manage financially.
Each parent can’t have more than one policy per child, and the cover for each child only lasts a year. However, you can take out Free Parent Life Cover alongside any other existing life insurance policy.
Life insurance for the long-term
Free Parent Life Cover is a good start, but it only lasts for 12 months. You should also consider if the money you’d receive is enough for your circumstances.
So your loved ones have a financial parachute, you might want to make life insurance more than just a 12-month thing.
We have two types of life insurance to help provide financial protection to the important people in your life – the Free Parent Life Cover and our Life Insurance Plan.
For as little as £5 a month, our Life Insurance Plan allows you to choose a higher cover amount and will offer your family protection for as long as you choose, so you’ve got long-term protection at a cover level that’s right for your circumstances.
You can take out a Life Insurance Plan in addition to your Free Parent Life Cover.
How our life insurance plans compare
Free Parent Life Cover
- £15,000 free cover for one year
- Parents can apply for separate policies for each child under four
- Provides cover as a starting point to protect your family
- You can have Free Parent Life Cover and one of our Life Insurance Plans at the same time
- You need to be aged from 18 to 66
Life Insurance Plan
- Prices from just £5 per month
- Includes Aviva DigiCare+ health and wellbeing benefits at no extra cost, helping you enjoy life today. Aviva Digicare+ is powered by Square Health
- Cover is 5 Star rated by Defaqto
- We paid out 99.3% of life insurance claims in 2020 1
- You need to be aged from 18 to 77
- Cover lengths from 1 to 50 years
Unsure of what cover you might need and want financial advice?
Speak to your financial adviser. If you don't already have a financial adviser you can find one at unbiased.co.uk
Deciding how much cover you need
Your life insurance cover amount is how much money we’ll give your loved ones if you die. How much money this needs to be depends on your circumstances.
You should think about how much your family would need for general living costs, and bigger expenses such as paying off a mortgage, keeping up repayments or settling any debts.
You can use our life insurance calculator tool to help you work out what cover amount is right for you and your family.
Life insurance cover calculator
Use our calculator to find out how much cover you might need.
About our Free Parent Life Cover
What we’ll give you
- £15,000 worth of cover
And we’ll pay out this lump sum if you pass away within the year
- Free cover for a year
There’s nothing to buy, and we won’t ask for bank details
- Cover for each parent of each child under four years
Apply from birth or any time before their fourth birthday
When we can’t pay out
- If you don’t answer all questions honestly
So make sure you fill in the form accurately and truthfully
- If you pass away due to alcohol or drug abuse
Alcohol abuse and non-prescribed drug overdose aren’t covered
- If you pass away due to suicide
Intentional injury that’s self-inflicted isn’t covered
- If you move out of the UK
We can’t cover you if you move abroad
Are you eligible?
You can apply for this cover if:
- You're aged 18-66 and a permanent UK resident
- You have a child under four years old and are named as a parent on their birth certificate, full adoption certificate, special guardianship order, or final residence order
- You have not received any medical diagnosis or treatment for cancer, including for leukaemia and lymphoma, within the last 12 months
- You haven’t taken out this plan for the same child before
Partnering with Macmillan Cancer Support
Offering specialised cancer support
We’ve partnered with Macmillan Cancer Support to raise awareness of the emotional, medical, and financial support they can provide if you’re living with cancer. Our customer team has the information, tools, and necessary training needed to guide you quickly to the Macmillan support service that’s right for you.
Still need help? Give us a call
Monday to Friday: 8:00am - 6:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am - 2:00pm
For our joint protection, telephone calls may be recorded and/or monitored and will be saved for a minimum of 5 years. Calls to 0800 numbers from UK landlines and mobiles are free.