The app is designed to save safer drivers money on their car insurance, as we think it's only fair that you pay an individual price based on how well you drive. By using the app, you could save up to 20% when you come straight to us to buy comprehensive car insurance. 19% qualified for the maximum saving of 20% and 50% qualified for 10%*.
How does Aviva Drive work?
- Our app is free to download and uses your phone's inbuilt GPS to track how you brake, accelerate, and corner.
- Clock up 200 miles of journeys - along the way collect different driving skills badges and share your progress on Facebook and Twitter.
- At 200 miles, Aviva Drive will give an individual driving score between 0-10 (10 being the safest). The app will show you how your score compares v's the national average. Then you can even compare your driving score against your friends on Facebook.
- We use your score which is built up from how you brake, accelerate and corner to give you driving feedback and to calculate any personalised discount you have earned on your car insurance - so you could pay up to 20% less.
Is this for you?
- drive safely?
- pay over £200 for your car insurance?
You can only earn the full 20% discount if you pay more than £400 on your car insurance.
Download the app today and see if you could save.
Aviva Drive does rely on a strong GPS signal to accurately track your driving behaviour, so works best on newer versions of phones with assisted GPS.
How much could you save?
If you drive safely, you could save up to 20% on your comprehensive car insurance. 19% qualified for the maximum saving of 20% and 50% qualified for 10%*. Please see the table below for more details on the discounts available.
|Aviva Drive driving score
||Normal annual Aviva new customer price
(excluding optional extras)
||£200 - £399
|0 to 3.0
||No additional saving available
|3.1 to 5.0
|5.1 to 7
|7.1 to 10
- Optimum accuracy – A number of things can affect the precision of the GPS signal your phone receives. So for the best results and to ensure we give you a score which most accurately reflects your driving, we recommend you use an in-car cradle or at least place the phone in a stable position on your dashboard. We try not to use GPS data which could be unreliable, so you may find the mileage recorded by the app for some journeys is less than your actual mileage driven.
- Battery usage - GPS often requires more battery power. If you’re planning a long journey, make sure you have a full battery before you start, and consider using an in-car charger.
- Low scores – Any score of 3.1 and above recognises your safer driving behaviour and is rewarded with a discount. And while the safest drivers could get a discount of up to 20%, Aviva won’t penalise drivers with lower scores. Our competitive standard premium will still be available, but without the extra discount.
- Your data - The data we collect will be used to help us build an understanding of your driving behaviour and risk, and will adhere to the high standards that Aviva apply for all customer data collected.
Do you have a question about Aviva Drive?
You can find answers to the most frequently asked questions here.
* Between 14 November 2012 and 17 April 2013 19% qualified for the maximum saving of 20% and 50% qualified for 10%.The discount depends on your score and premium – minimum premium of £200. Discount available on one car per policy only (applied to the first car that the principal policyholder is identified as being the main driver of). Discount is calculated after any eligible offers have been deducted. Discount does not apply to optional extras. Aviva Drive discounts apply from 28 May 2013, we reserve the right to review or change the discounts on a quarterly basis.