We use cookies to give you the best possible online experience. If you continue, we'll assume you are happy for your web browser to receive all cookies from our website. See our cookie policy for more information on cookies and how to manage them.


Inheritance tax calculator

It's often said that the only things that are certain in life are death and taxes. The issue of inheritance tax touches both. Do you know if you're going to leave your loved ones with a large inheritance tax bill along with your worldly goods? Use Aviva's quick inheritance tax calculator to see how much your family could be liable to pay HM Revenue & Customs.

All fields marked with an asterisk * are mandatory.

Inheritance Tax Calculator

Your assets

If you're married or in a civil partnership, please insert the full value of any jointly owned assets unless your wills leave your share of the asset to someone other than your spouse or civil partner.

Transferable nil rate band

Transferable nil rate band

Everone has an allowance (known as the nil rate band) which is free from inheritance tax. If your spouse or civil partner dies before you and does not use all of their nil rate band (for example, because their estate is left to you) then you can use the the unused portion of their nil rate band in addition to your own. In order to calculate the nil rate band available to you we'll need to know if a spouse or civil partner has predeceased you, and what proportion of their nil rate band was not used.

If you answer 'No', the calculator will assume that you are single or that you are married (or in a civil partnership), that you will die first and you will not leave your estate to a surviving spouse (or civil partner).

Your Liabilities

Your liabilities

Getting advice

This calculator is based on our understanding of current tax law, which is subject to change in the future. Inheritance Tax (IHT) law is complex and this calculator is designed to give you a very basic assessment of your potential IHT liability. To get a more accurate assessment based on your specific circumstances, you should speak to a financial adviser. If you don't have a financial adviser you can find an adviser in your area at Unbiased. Where advice is provided there may be an additional charge to you.

WC02068 10/2013