Homes in the UK with energy saving improvements could be worth on average 14% more than the same homes without energy efficient upgrades1.
As well as providing the tips below, we’ve teamed up with ScottishPower to offer Aviva Advantages customers 50% off* the ScottishPower TREC Energy Monitor to help you find out how much energy you use at home.
1. Now’s the time to cover up those draughts. Blocking cracks in floors and skirting boards and draught proofing windows and doors could save you as much as £30 a year2.
2. As much as 30% of the heat from an insulated home can be lost through the walls, and another 25% through the roof. You could save £140 a year3 on your heating bills by installing cavity wall insulation and as much as £250 a year4 by installing loft insulation, depending on your type of house and how much loft insulation you already have.
3. Don't leave appliances and gadgets on standby. This could save you up to £80 a year on electricity bills5.
4. Use separate plugs. Put your digital recorder on a separate plug socket so you can turn off everything else at the mains but keep your series link recordings6.
5. We all love a cup of tea but next time you boil the kettle, think about how much water you need: most kettles can boil as little as a mug's worth. If you only boil what you need, you could save you around £7 a year on energy bills7.
6. Switch your washing machine to 30°C and use around 40% less energy compared to washing at higher temperatures8.
7. Energy saving light bulbs might cost a few pounds more than ordinary light bulbs but nowhere near the £60 they could save you in their lifetime9.
8. Turn down your thermostat by 1°C and you could cut your fuel bills by up to 10%10.
9. Visit the ScottishPower webshop (https://scottishpowershop.co.uk/Default.aspx) to see the wide range of products that can help you become more energy efficient.
10. Find ScottishPower's best deal - visit ScottishPower to find the best ScottishPower gas and electricity deal for you.
*Offer limited to first 100 qualifying customers who apply before 27 June 2014. Full offer terms and conditions apply https://www.aviva.co.uk/advantages/at-home/0/scottish-power-energy-monitor-offer-57/
1 Source: UK Department of Energy & Climate change, June 2013 (https://www.gov.uk/government/news/energy-saving-measures-boost-house-prices)
2 Source: Energy Saving Trust (http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Take-action/Energy-saving-top-tips)
3 Source: Energy Saving Trust (http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Insulation/Wall-insulation)
4Source: Energy Saving Trust (http://energysavingtrust.org.uk/insulation/roof-and-loft-insulation)
8 Source: Energy Saving Trust (http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Take-action/Energy-saving-top-tips/Changing-your-habits-room-by-room/Laundry-tips)
9 Source: Energy Saving Trust (http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Take-action/Energy-saving-top-tips/Changing-your-habits-room-by-room)
10 Source: Energy Saving Trust (http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Take-action/Energy-saving-top-tips/Changing-your-habits-room-by-room)
(These tips are based on information that was available in March 2014 and therefore may not necessarily be based on the most up to date information.)