Here’s some advice about what to do if your home or car has been affected during snow or freezing weather– and how to avoid remaining hazards:
Driving safely after the snow
- Wash your car to prevent grit and salt in the slush damaging the bodywork.
- Watch out for black ice on the roads.
- Drive slowly through puddles - drenching pedestrians or cyclists could lead to a fine of up to £5,000.
- Be alert for localised floods. Prevent engine damage by driving through pools of water very slowly and at a constant speed - but avoid them if at all possible. Driving too fast creates a bow wave which can in turn flood adjacent properties.
- Do not drive through flowing water.
- Look out for potholes, they can seriously damage your car.
What to do if your home’s been damaged
- If you’ve suffered water damage, allow air to circulate to speed up the drying process and prevent mould forming – don’t redecorate until it’s completely dry.
- Take photographs and keep receipts and damaged items to help with your insurance claim.
- If your home’s in danger from flooding, put sandbags or boards against doors, plug sinks and baths, block drainage and overflow holes and place sandbags in toilets. Move everything you can upstairs and turn off the gas, electricity and water before any water enters your home.
Check outside your home so no damage goes unnoticed
- Look at your roof to ensure no tiles or slates are damaged or dislodged and there is no damage to flashings, guttering, rainwater goods or conservatories.
- Ensure mortar pointing and render is maintained in good condition. Minor cracks should be investigated as they can lead to further damage.
- Check the condition of any exposed timber such as windows, barge boards, facias and soffits.
- Check your fences and outbuildings for damage so you can fix any problems quickly.
- Cracked paving slabs on paths and patios are a tripping hazard, so replace broken ones to avoid injury.
We’re here for you if you need to ask for help or make a claim.
Home queries and claims
If your enquiry is an emergency, please give us a call on 0844 8911 222* (we’re open 24hrs a day). If it’s a non-emergency please get in touch by using this form.
In the event of an emergency it's always better to call us on 0844 8911 222 so we can make sure you get help as quickly as possible.
Car queries and claims
Call us on 0844 891 1111* — our claims lines are open 24hrs a day, 365 days a year.
Call now and one of our expert incident managers will begin to process your claim immediately (calls may be recorded and/or monitored).
Or complete our online form and notify us of a car insurance claim.* 0844 numbers will be charged at 3p per minute from a BT landline. Calls from other networks may vary.