For tips, tools and guidance on all things risk management, just search for a topic you’re interested in or use the below pods.
What is it?
Equipment generally described as workplace transport includes:
- Forklift trucks
- Reach trucks
- Telescopic materials handlers
- Dumper trucks
- Road-going vehicles - vans and lorries whilst they are on site for loading and unloading
Vehicles at work continue to be a major cause of fatal and major injuries. Since 1998/99 there has been an average of 61 fatalities each year as well as over 2150 major injuries and over 4270 injuries requiring the injured person to be off work for more than 3 days (source www.hse.gov.uk).
The control of the risks associated with workplace transport must be tackled by carrying out a risk assessment in order to assess the hazards on your own premises. However, some of the key issues that need to be addressed are:
- Ensure that all drivers are trained and formally authorised to drive
- Do not allow untrained drivers to use vehicles
- Supervise drivers to ensure they follow their training and employ safe practices
- Segregate pedestrians from vehicles – mark out walking routes and pedestrian crossings etc.
- Set up safe routes for use by workplace transport
- Ideally arrange a one-way system
- Set speed limits and ensure they are adhered to
- Eliminate reversing; or, if that is not possible
- Ensure reversing only takes place with a banksman and under controlled circumstances
- Select the correct equipment for the job in hand e.g. work requiring a forklift with man box is better carried out with a mobile elevating work platform or cherry-picker
- Establish maintenance routines and programmes to ensure vehicles are in sound mechanical order
- Ensure drivers undertake daily, pre-use inspections AND report faults immediately
- Source discounted products, available to Aviva insured customers and brokers, via our Specialist Partners - click here to find out more about the savings you could make
- Call our Risk Helpline on 0345 366 66 66
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- View our Tools and Templates
This document contains general information and guidance and is not and should not be relied on as specific advice. The document may not cover every risk, exposure or hazard that may arise and Aviva recommend that you obtain specific advice relevant to the circumstances. AVIVA accepts no responsibility or liability towards any person who may rely upon this document.
Rate this entry
Was this helpful to you?
Call 0345 366 6666 to speak to our qualified advisers for help and advice.