Professional Indemnity Insurance

Protection if a client sues for alleged poor service or advice

Do I need professional indemnity insurance?

For some professions, it’s compulsory to have professional indemnity insurance in place. However, many other businesses aren’t required to have it – but still choose to take out the cover to protect themselves in case of any compensation claims, because covering the cost of claims can be financially exhausting.

That’s where professional indemnity insurance steps in.

If you need to defend your business against claims for compensation – whether they’re founded or not – professional indemnity insurance helps to ease the financial burden. Claims can arise from instances where you offer wrong advice, you make a mistake in designs or plans, or you accidentally disclose client information. Even if you’re meticulous in what you do, it’s better to be safe than sorry. Mistakes can and do happen.

Why choose Aviva?

Up to £2 million cover

Compensation and legal fees can be expensive. That’s why we offer up to £2 million professional indemnity cover.

Free 24/7 legal and tax helpline

We’re on hand to help you through every step of the process with confidential support available round the clock.

Simple claims

Need to make a claim? With Aviva it’s quick, easy, and straightforward – and all dealt with by our UK claims centre. That’s another load off your mind.

What’s included

  • Cover for compensation and legal costs for defending a claim – up to £2 million
  • Insurance for any costs that you incur in the process of defending the claim
  • Protection for your business if it’s part of a liable joint venture
  • Cover for the cost of recovering lost or damaged documents or data
  • Cover for any new businesses that you acquire during your period of insurance, provided that the annual fee income for the new business doesn’t exceed £50,000
  • Financial protection from when you first bought a professional indemnity policy

Apply now

Get your Professional Indemnity Insurance online if your business has between 1-9 employees, and your annual gross fees are less than £250,000. It’s available with Public Liability Insurance or Buildings and Contents Insurance.

Just so you’re aware, this cover isn’t available to professions required to have compulsory or regulated policy cover.

Do you have more than 9 employees? Buy through a broker.

Other business cover

Whether your core cover is Buildings and Contents Insurance or Public Liability Insurance, you can get more protection with these options.

Got a question?

We answer some of the most frequently asked questions about professional indemnity insurance.

Is professional indemnity insurance mandatory?

Certain professions are required by their professional bodies or regulators to have a minimum amount of professional indemnity insurance in place. Many other businesses, however, choose to take out professional indemnity to protect themselves in the event of claims for compensation.

How much cover do I need?

As a minimum, we recommend that your cover limit should be equivalent to two and a half times your annual fee income, or £100,000 – whichever is greater. It’s worth noting that this is a minimum, and before choosing a cover limit you should also consider things like:

  • The types of clients you work with
  • The value of any contracts
  • How complex your services are
  • Your worst case scenario if something went wrong

If you’ve signed a contract that requires you to have professional indemnity insurance, that contract should outline the level of cover you need.

What’s not included?

Our professional indemnity insurance doesn’t cover:

  • Claims and circumstances that give rise to claims known at the beginning of cover
  • Insolvency or bankruptcy
  • Claims caused by computer viruses

What if I bought my professional indemnity insurance from a broker?

If you purchased your Aviva insurance policy through a broker, please contact them for help with any queries you might have.

What if someone claims against me after my policy has ended?

All professional indemnity policies are written on a claims made basis. That means they only cover claims (or circumstances that might result in claims) that are made and notified to us during the period of insurance.

If you retire or sell your business, it’s worth considering a run-off policy. This covers you against any new claims that are made against you after your professional indemnity insurance has expired.

New claims can be made against you for up to six years after an alleged negligent act has taken place, so your run-off policy should cover you for this period. If you already have professional indemnity cover with Aviva and you’re thinking of retiring or ceasing trading, talk to us to discuss your run-off cover requirements.

You might also be interested in