What is Public Liability Insurance?
Accidents can happen unexpectedly, and sometimes the people involved get hurt. With Public Liability Insurance, it helps protect your business against personal injury or property damage claims from members of the public.
So, if someone makes a claim against your business, our cover could pay the costs you are held responsible or liable for, such as legal fees and expenses, as well as any compensation pay outs. This means you can focus on running your business while we deal with the claim and paperwork.
Do I need Public Liability Insurance?
It isn’t a legal requirement to have Public Liability Insurance, but you might want this cover if there’s a chance your business will interact with the public.
Whether you, or someone you employ, causes accidental damage or injury to someone visiting your place of work, in a customer’s home or while you’re working on site, our cover could handle all claims from start to finish.
What does Public Liability Insurance cover?
Our insurance could help protect your business against claims from members of the public.
- Legal expenses
- We’ll cover legal defence fees including any compensation you owe.
- Get up to £500 per day if you need to attend court
- Accidental damage cover
- You’ll get accidental damage cover for employees and visitors – including vehicles and belongings
- Injury cover
- We’ll provide injury cover for working partners if your business is a partnership
- Flexible cover options
- Choose from £1m, £2m and £5m cover to suit your contract or trade
- For specific trades, you’ll also get:
- Hairdressers Liability
- We’ll cover you if your client has suffered hair or scalp damage due to a treatment
- Products Liability
- Cover if a product you make or supply causes accidental injury to someone or damages their property
What isn’t included
- Like all insurance policies, there are some things we can’t cover including:
- Injury cover for employees
- We can’t cover your employees for injuries – for that, you’ll need
- Repair or damage costs
- To a product you supplied or work you completed, including the cost of removing or replacing it. (Also includes work completed on your behalf.)
- Payment of fines and penalties
- We can’t pay for fines and penalties
- Environmental issues
- Any damage that occurs from pollution or contamination
- Any asbestos-related claims
See a full list of covers and exclusions in our summary documents below.
How can Public Liability Insurance help?
Get a Public Liability Insurance quote
Do you own a business and have between 0-9 employees? Get an online quote now to see how much Public Liability Insurance costs.
Do I need any additional business insurance?
Depending on the type of business you run, you might need additional cover. Here are a few options you can purchase with Public Liability Insurance: