Do I need Employers’ Liability Insurance?
It’s your responsibility as an employer to protect the health and safety of your employees during working hours. You’re legally required to have employers’ liability cover in place if you employ one or more people.
Some companies don’t need Employers’ Liability Insurance, such as businesses that only employ close family members. In these instances, while it isn’t a legal obligation to have Employers’ Liability Insurance, lots of businesses still choose it for the financial security it provides.
Why choose Aviva for your Employers’ Liability Insurance?
Compensation, legal costs and expenses for defending health and safety prosecutions – you’re prepared whatever happens.
£10 million protection
Our insurance provides you £10 million cover as standard – that's double the legal minimum.
Need to make a claim? With Aviva it’s quick, easy, and straightforward – and all dealt with by our UK claims centre. That’s another load off your mind.
- Legal costs and compensation for illness and injury claims, and defending health and safety law prosecutions; our policy provides £10 million cover as standard
- Cover against claims made by all members of staff, including workers employed through government schemes
- Cover against claims by staff on work experience
- Up to £500 compensation per day for each director, partner or employee attending court
What isn’t included
- Work in or on, or travel to or from, any offshore installation or support vessel
- Injury to an employee travelling in or on, or getting into or out of, a vehicle where any Road Traffic Act legislation applies
- Liquidated damages, penalty clauses or fines
For more information about our covers and exclusions please refer to the summary of cover documents.
Over 9 employees? Buy through a broker
Got a question?
We answer some of the most frequently asked questions about Employers’ Liability Insurance.
How much cover is included?
How much does Employers' Liability Insurance cost?
Who is considered a close family member?
What if I don't have employers' liability cover?
Is Employers' Liability Insurance tax deductible?
What if I bought my Aviva Employers' Liability Insurance from a broker?