Self-Employed Insurance

You’ve worked hard to set up your own business – now let us help you protect it

What is Self-Employed Insurance?

Self-Employed Insurance protects professionals who work for themselves as contractors, freelancers or sole traders. If you’re one of them, you can enjoy flexibility and independence in the work you choose to do. But remember, it comes with a risk; if something goes wrong, you may be held responsible.

Why do I need insurance if I’m self-employed?

Depending on the type of work you do, the risks your business might face will vary. For instance, what would happen if your business equipment accidentally injured a member of the public or damaged their property? And what if a client claims you’ve given them poor advice, and their business has suffered because of it? In both scenarios, you could be liable for the expenses they face because of something you did. Even if it’s unfounded, compensation claims can be costly to fight. But having business insurance in place could mean you don't need to worry about how you could meet those costs.

What type of insurance do I need?

Public liability is one of Aviva's core covers you’ll need to buy in order to access our other flexible cover options. Here's a list of covers that could support you as a self-employed or freelance professional.

Public Liability Insurance

Cover up to £5 million in protection

Accidents can happen unexpectedly, and sometimes the people involved get hurt. Public Liability Insurance helps protect your business against claims for personal injury or property damage from members of the public. So, if someone makes a claim against your business, our cover could pay the costs you're held responsible or liable for, such as legal fees and expenses, as well as any compensation pay-outs.

Tools, Stock and Business Equipment Insurance

Cover up to £30,000 in protection

Your clients depend on you, while you depend on your business equipment. In order to be reliable, you'll need protection in place if ever your must-have device or kit is lost, damaged or stolen. This means if the unexpected happens to your business equipment, we’ll replace it so you can keep working. And while your clients’ possessions are in your care, we’ll extend the protection to them too. Terms, exclusions and limitations apply.

You can purchase this cover with Public Liability Insurance or Buildings and Contents Insurance.

Professional Indemnity Insurance

Cover up to £2 million in protection

As a self-employed professional, you’ll want to deliver your best work for all of your clients. But sometimes clients are unhappy as your work may have negatively impacted their business. Whether through a damaged reputation or loss of earnings to their business, they could choose to make a claim against you. Professional Indemnity Insurance could help protect your business from this risk.

You can purchase this cover with Public Liability Insurance.

Other business cover

Working for yourself means your business is as unique as you are. Choose the cover to suit your needs with some of our other business insurance.

Buildings and Contents Insurance

Whether you own or rent the premises your business runs from, keep it protected against damage by natural events, theft, and other causes of loss or destruction.

Business Income Insurance

If you need cover for financial loss in the event of accidents, crime or a natural disaster (exclusions apply).

Employers’ Liability Insurance

If you have employees ‐ unless they’re related to you ‐ it’s a legal requirement to have this cover in place.

Business Vehicle and Van Insurance

Choose from comprehensive or third-party, fire and theft insurance to keep your business vehicle on the road. Plus, you can select a range of optional extras to suit your needs.

Ready to get going?

Get a quote now and start enjoying protection from Aviva.

If you have 0-9 employees, select a core cover of Public Liability or Buildings and contents Insurance and any additional covers to meet your self-employed needs.

Over 9 employees? Buy through a broker.