- Read the policy wording, particularly if there are any exclusions
- Check the limits – are they too low? Many policies give the option to increase limits
- Check your policy excess –most insurers offer the option of increasing or decreasing the excess, although it may impact the premium you pay
- Tell your insurer if you make any changes to your home, such as a change in occupancy or building works being carried out
- Think about your lifestyle. For example, if you have children or spend a lot of time at home, consider accidental damage insurance to protect against mishaps
- Think about cover outside of your home, too. What would happen if your bag or briefcase was stolen – would you be covered for the items you carry around with you?
- Does your policy cover boilers or appliances? You’ll usually need additional cover for boiler breakdowns
- Maintain your property – insurers expect homeowners to take reasonable care of their property, so check your home regularly – especially gutters, fences and roofs
- Review your contents regularly – over time we accumulate more things. We may inherit items, or as children get older they acquire more belongings. Check that your cover is adequate for everything you own
- If you have valuables, such as jewellery or expensive watches, check the single article limit to make sure they’re covered, and have them valued periodically
How to get the most from your home insurance
We all know that home insurance is important, but do you know exactly what it covers? Here’s how to get the most out of your home insurance.
Looking for Home Insurance?
Visit our Home Insurance page to see full details of the cover we offer.
More articles on protecting your things
Find out more about looking after what’s yours.
1 Jun 2020
Households urged to take extra care as number of barbecue-related fires surge
24 Apr 2020
Save money on your property: how to overcome downsizing hurdles
17 Apr 2020
Meet the anxious drivers that learnt to beat the nerves and get back behind the wheel
8 Apr 2020
Working from home? Let us give you a little peace of mind that your home office equipment is covered
11 Mar 2020
Naming yourself as the main driver on your teen's car insurance could get you into trouble
13 Feb 2020
Buying a diamond-studded gift this Valentine’s Day? Here’s one more way things could go horribly wrong
23 Jan 2020
Hitting the slopes this winter? Alessandra’s accident shows that even experienced skiers need cover
17 Jan 2020
Confessions of a driving instructor – learning to drive
16 Jan 2020
Van security becomes personal for millions in the small business economy
10 Jan 2020
Families more connected than ever, survey reveals
10 Jan 2020
Counting the cost of an electric car
7 Jan 2020
Are electric cars really the most environmentally friendly choice?
30 Dec 2019
Why we're stepping up the climate fight
19 Dec 2019
The office apiaries helping bees thrive
19 Dec 2019
Ways to make your home eco-friendly
12 Dec 2019