Finding unclaimed policies - privacy notice
The data controller responsible for your personal data will be the company that provided the policy to the deceased customer, including Aviva Insurance Limited and Aviva Life & Pension UK Limited.
Personal information we collect and how we use it
The personal information we collect and use may include your name, contact details, date of birth and relationship to the deceased customer as well as other information necessary for us to assess and pay a claim.
We may obtain personal information from you, publicly available sources and our service providers. We may hold personal information about you where we have previously considered a claim in relation to other policies of the deceased customer. We will use this personal information to:
- support legitimate interests that we have as a business, including verifying your information, corresponding with you, assessing and paying claims and managing our internal processes,
- meet any applicable legal or regulatory obligations, including compliance with requirements of our regulators (e.g. Financial Conduct Authority) and law enforcement and to manage legal claims, and
- carry out other activities that are in the public interest, for example, we may need to use your personal information to conduct anti-money laundering checks.
We may also use personal information about other people, for example beneficiaries of the deceased customer. If you are providing information about another person, we expect you to ensure that they know you are doing so. You might find it helpful to show them this privacy notice.
How we share your personal information with others
We may share your personal information:
- with the Aviva group, our agents and service providers that help us manage our products and services and assess and pay claims, and
- with regulatory bodies and law enforcement bodies, including the police, for example, if we are required to do so to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
How long we keep your personal information for
We retain personal information for as long as we reasonably need it for the purposes explained in this notice. We need to keep information for the period necessary to assess and pay a claim. We may also need to keep information after we have closed a claim, for example to ensure we have an accurate record in the event of any complaints or challenges, to carry out fraud checks, or where we are required to do so for legal, regulatory or tax purposes.
If you have any questions about how we use your personal information or if you want to exercise your rights, please contact our Data Protection Officer by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or writing to the Data Protection Officer, Aviva, Pitheavlis, Perth PH2 0NH.
If you have a complaint or concern about how we use your personal information, please contact us in the first instance and we will attempt to resolve the issue as soon as possible. You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office at any time.