Do I need a Green card?

If you’re planning to drive your vehicle in the EU & EEA countries, Serbia, Switzerland and Andorra. You’ll need to contact us two weeks before you plan to travel so we can decide whether we need to issue you with a Green Card.

You’ll need a Green Card if you’re driving any vehicle in the EU to prove you have the insurance you need. It doesn’t matter what level of motor cover you have, including if your policy has a foreign use extension.

You’ll also need a Green Card when driving from Northern Ireland to the Republic of Ireland.

If you’re travelling with a trailer, you’ll need to register any commercial trailer weighing over 750kg before towing them abroad. All trailers (personal and commercial) weighing over 3,500kg must be registered. You’ll also need to get a Green Card for separately registered trailers.