Do I need a financial adviser for my pension?

In most cases, you don’t need to get an adviser by law, but deciding how to save for retirement is a complex decision. Also, some decisions, like whether to start taking an income from your pension, can never be unmade. That’s why personalised advice from a qualified adviser can bring real relief. 

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) requires you to take financial advice before transferring if the Cash Equivalent Transfer Value (CETV) of your defined benefit (DB) pension is over £30,000.

MoneyHelper is a free financial guidance service backed by the Government. It’s there to help you understand your pension and other finances, but it can’t give you personalised advice – for that, you’ll need a qualified adviser.

Explore more frequently asked questions

Whether you want to change your details, make a claim or understand more about our products, you can find answers to FAQs by category.

Coronavirus updates, help and support

We're having to do a few things a little differently right now, here's all the latest information about our different policies, including COVID-19 specific frequently asked questions, and the best way to contact us.

FAQ search tool

Not found the answer you need yet? If you have a particular question, try our FAQ search tool.