Breakdown cover

Frequently asked questions

What is Rescue & Recovery breakdown cover?

Rescue cover means that if your vehicle breaks down more than a quarter of a mile from your home address we will send a patrol out to repair it at the roadside. If it cannot be repaired within a reasonable time, or the patrolman feels the repair is unwise we will transport your vehicle to a destination of your choice within 10 miles or to a nearby garage.

Transport for you and up to seven passengers to that chosen destination will also be provided.

Recovery is the same as Rescue but if your vehicle cannot be repaired we will transport your vehicle, you and up to seven passengers to your home address or any single address in the UK.

Recovery is also provided if you are taken ill and can't continue your journey and none of the passengers can legally drive the vehicle.

What is the Aviva breakdown service callout number?

If you need help at the roadside please call us on 0800 015 5755 to request a call out.

Can I get instant cover with Aviva breakdown cover?

Your cover starts as soon as we have processed your payment and issued you with a policy number. Visit our breakdown cover page for more information and to get a quote. 

Do you offer European breakdown cover?

You can add European breakdown cover to any of the standalone breakdown cover options. This cover includes:

  • Spare parts dispatch if they are required to repairs your cars whilst abroad
  • Extra accommodation expenses if you are stranded following a breakdown
  • Journey continuation or return home: the RAC will pay for car hire up to £125 per day up to a maximum of £1,500, if your car cannot be repaired immediately
  • Replacement driver if you and your passengers are too ill to continue driving (must be certified by a doctor)
  • Vehicle break in - the RAC will pay for repairs to make your car secure again following a break-in or an attempted break-in whilst abroad
  • Returning your car to the UK if it cannot be repaired

As part of European breakdown cover, the RAC also include a number of features which apply after you return home including:

  • Travel expenses to collect your vehicle that has been left abroad for repair
  • Replacement vehicle after your return: the RAC will pay for car hire up to £125 per day up to a maximum of £1,500, if your car cannot be repaired immediately.

Can I get cover for my caravan for breakdown?

Provided it is being towed at the time your vehicle breaks down, our breakdown cover can also recover your caravan. We do not provide cover if the caravan itself breaks down.

Cover limits and exclusions apply so for further information please see our policy booklet.

How do I change payment details?

If you need to make a change to your payment details please call us:

How do I renew my policy?

Where we offer you renewal, your reminder will be sent to you at least 32 days before your renewal date. We will send the reminder in the post and we may also send you an email or text. Please ensure that that the information on your renewal documents is complete and accurate.

To renew your policy please call us:

If you pay by Direct Debit or a continuous card payment method, your policy will be automatically renewed (unless you have cancelled the continuous payment authority or we are unable to offer renewal using the same payment method). For further details, please see 'Automatic Renewal of your policy' in the Important Information. Visit here for bike, visit here for breakdown.

If you pay by direct debit or continuous card payment your policy will renew automatically, where we are unable to do so we will advise you of the reason in your renewal letter.

For information on renewing your home or motor policy, visit here.

What payment methods are available?

You can pay for all policies in one lump sum by credit card or debit card. Some policies offer direct debit payments.

Your payment options will be made clear when you complete your quote.

Where can I find my policy number?

You can find your policy number on your policy documents, statement, email or letter we've sent you or it may be your reference number on your bank statement.

For motor, home, travel, bike and breakdown policies, this will be in the format of 3 letters followed by 9 numbers, e.g. MMV123456789

For life insurance, pension, annuities, investment bonds and income drawdown the policy number should contain letters, numbers and /.

The policy number may also be called: plan number, client number, plan details, bond number, arrangement number, member number or reference number.

On AvivaPlus you will receive a Subscription number beginning with AVP along with a policy number. The policy numbers begin with MTM for Motor Insurance and MTH for Home Insurance.

I have a direct debit policy what happens at renewal?

Where we offer your renewal by Direct Debit, you will be notified before your renewal date that the policy will automatically be renewed and the renewal premium will be collected by Direct Debit.

We will not automatically renew your policy if you have contacted us to cancel the continuous payment authority or we no longer offer you payment by Direct Debit. If this happens we will advise you of this in your renewal letter and you will need to contact us to make payment before we can renew your policy. For further details on how this works, please see 'Automatic renewal of your Policy' in the Important Information. Visit here for home, visit here for motor and visit here for breakdown.

Visit MyAviva to change your bank details online..

Live chat information

Existing Customers

If you're an existing customer with a Motor, Home or Travel policy, you can access your policy details on MyAviva

It's quick and easy to register. You can view documents, make some changes to your policy and access existing customer discounts and offers for Aviva customers; check out all the benefits.

You should be able to self-service with MyAviva, however if you need support our Live Chat advisors are here to help.

To chat, simply log into MyAviva and follow the below steps:

  • Use the ''Profile'' button
  • Select ''Chat now''

Please note Live Chat is subject to availability between the opening hours of Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm, Saturday - 8:30 - 5pm and Sunday 10am - 4pm.

New customers

If you don't yet have a policy with us, please use our contact details page to find the right number to call us on.

Do I need a Green Card?

  • If you are travelling to the EU and will return prior to ‘exit date’, you do not need a Green Card and do not need to contact us for a Green Card.

  • If you are planning to be driving your vehicle in the EU on or after ‘exit date’, please contact us four weeks before you plan to travel so we can understand your needs and issue you with a Green Card if you require one.

  • In the event there is ‘no deal’, a Green Card will be required for all vehicles which travel in the EU after ‘exit date’ to prove that you have the required insurance, regardless of the level of motor cover provided on your policy. This is true even if you have a foreign use extension on your motor policy.

  • Please note that you will need a Green Card when driving from Northern Ireland to the Republic of Ireland.

  • If you are travelling with a trailer you must register any commercial trailer weighing over 750kg before towing them abroad from ‘exit date’. A separately registered trailer will require a Green Card. All trailers, personal and commercial weighing over 3,500kg must also be registered.

Find out more about driving abroad and whether you need to request a Green Card by visiting here and going to the "Driving abroad" section.

How do I get a Green Card?

Aviva has made arrangements to issue Green Cards to customers who plan on driving in the EU on or after the 'exit date'.

Find out more about driving abroad and whether you need to request a Green Card by visiting here and going to the "Driving abroad" section.

If you will be abroad on or after ‘exit date’ and are leaving the UK within the next 48 hours, please call us so we can ascertain your needs on 0345 030 8651.

Will I still be able to use my insurance to drive in other EU member states after Brexit?

Yes. Your current motor insurance cover will continue to provide the legal minimum motor insurance (third party cover only) for travel to EU & EEA countries, Serbia, Switzerland and Andorra. Customers will not need to purchase additional third-party motor insurance policy cover when travelling to these countries with a UK-registered vehicle. However, we suggest you check the terms of your cover, as the minimum EEA requirements may not reflect the full cover you have when driving in the UK and you may wish to ‘top up’ your cover for driving abroad (e.g. comprehensive cover, which would include damage to your vehicle).

It is worth noting that at this point, a decision on Brexit has not been reached, meaning it is impossible to say what the future requirements for driving in the EU will actually be.

Will my driving licence be valid to drive in the EU after the UK leaves the EU?

In the event of a ‘no deal’ situation, the Department for Transport has advised you will need to obtain an International Driving Permit to drive in the EU. You would need to show this in conjunction with your UK driving licence and Green Card.

Find out more about driving abroad and whether you need to request a Green Card by visiting here and going to the "Driving abroad" section.

The IDP is issued by the Government, via Post Offices. Contact the Government for information on how to obtain one (insurers to do not issue IDPs).

It is important to note that there are different types of IDP. Which one you need depends on which country you are driving in:

  • A 1949 Convention IDP covers these EU countries: Republic of Ireland, Spain, Malta and Cyprus; or 
  • A 1968 Convention IDP (all other EU countries plus Norway and Switzerland)
  • A 1926 Convention IDP to drive in Liechtenstein

To drive in Republic of Ireland you should not need an IDP If you hold a UK driving licence as Ireland does not currently require IDPs to be held by driving licence holders from non-EU countries.


Find the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions on car, home, health, life and travel insurance cover, pensions, investments, the Aviva Drive app and Brexit.