Income protection insurance

Frequently asked questions

If I'm made redundant, can I make a claim?

You won’t be able to claim on your Income Protection Insurance policy, as it doesn't cover loss of income through redundancy, it only covers illness and accidental injury.

If your policy was previously with Friends Life, contact us to check if this applies to you.

What kind of illnesses are covered by income protection insurance?

We receive claims from our Income Protection Insurance customers for many types of illness and injury, including cancer, heart disease, mental illness (including stress and depression), and musculoskeletal problems relating to muscles and bones (including back pain).

Some conditions may not be covered by the policy. We'll let you know what these are after we've spoken to you and considered your medical history. You can also check the policy conditions.

What's the difference between an income protection policy and an Accident Sickness and Unemployment (ASU) policy?

Both are types of income protection that help to cover lost earnings, but there are differences.

When compared with income protection policies, accident, sickness and unemployment (ASU) policies:

  • usually have shorter deferred periods
  • cover redundancy
  • generally only pay out for a specific amount of time (usually up to a maximum of 12 months)
  • cover periods of temporary unemployment and incapacity
  • are typically cheaper

It's important to understand the difference between the two policies, so you’re confident you've chosen the right one. To buy our Income Protection Insurance, you’ll need to use a financial advisor, which you can find at


Find the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions on car, home, health, life and travel insurance cover, pensions, investments, the Aviva Drive app and Brexit.