Frequently Asked Questions
Ask us a question
You asked: Would my life insurance policy be affected by Inheritance Tax?
A lump sump payment could be subject to Inheritance Tax, dependent upon who it is paid to.
Though if a payment is made to a spouse or civil partner, it would not be subject to Inheritance Tax.
If your life insurance policy is placed under trust, not only can you nominate who receives the payment, you could also help to protect it from Inheritance Tax, under current tax rules. Please bear in mind tax rules may change in the future.
Find out more about Aviva Trusts.
Did this answer your question?
Answers others found useful
Browse our FAQs by topic
Most popular faqs
- Am I entitled to driving other cars (DOC) cover?
- Where can I find my policy number?
- I've moved house, how do I update my address details for my life insurance policy?
- What's the difference between protected rights and non-protected rights?
- Do I need to select business use on my car insurance policy?