Contents insurance for university students

With an ever-expanding array of gadgets and clothes, the average student will take more than £3000 worth of possessions to university.

As research suggests 1 amidst all the excitement of getting ready for the adventure ahead, insuring valuables isn’t necessarily the top priority.

However, making sure your possessions are insured while at university is extremely important. Not only do statistics 2 indicate that students are most likely to fall victim to personal theft, but damaging or losing gadgets during a night out isn’t unheard of either.

Louise Colley, Customer Director for Aviva, says “It’s quite easy to underestimate the value of student belongings. Laptops, tablets and phones are now ‘must-haves’ for the majority of people at university, so very quickly there can be thousands of pounds of possessions in one room. If they’re not insured, it can be a real headache - both emotionally and financially - if the worst happens.”

Protecting student possessions through home insurance

If you've got older children that are about to fly the nest and start university, don’t forget that their possessions will be insured under your Aviva home insurance.

Our standard household contents policy provides £5,000 cover for items temporarily removed from the home. So, providing the student lives at home outside of term time, their belongings will be covered. This includes belongings in a student’s room, their shared house or halls on campus and covers them for fire, storm, flood, or malicious damage. Theft is covered, but only if someone breaks into the accommodation.

Contents Insurance

From headphones to hoovers, our Contents Insurance helps protect your possessions

What about belongings outside student accommodation?

Students will need additional personal belongings cover if they want their laptop, mobile phone and music player covered when out and about, but if they’re on their parent’s policy they’ll be covered.

Personal Belongings cover provides £2,000 worth of cover, including £750 for cash, and a single article limit of £2,000.

Mobile phones

Mobile and smartphones that are damaged or stolen can be replaced within 48 hours of a claim being accepted.

Students’ bikes

Our home contents insurance covers bikes as standard if your cycle is stolen from inside your student home or a locked garage or shed. However, if you want your bikes covered in student accommodation, consider adding additional bike cover to your home policy.

When you’re away from home remember to lock your bike securely to a concrete post, railing or bike stand, to be covered for theft.

Protect your belongings at university

  • Don’t forget to lock up. Remember to lock doors and windows every time you go out, don’t leave your room open to opportunistic thieves
  • Travel light. Don’t carry around belongings you don’t need, these are likely to be safer at home
  • Out of sight, out of mind. Don’t leave valuables in full view when you go out, hide them away somewhere safe. The same goes for things left in your car
  • Be discreet. When out and about, be careful not to draw attention to your latest gadget; this may alert potential thieves
  • Get to know your flatmates. and keep an eye out for each other. This way, you’ll be able to recognise suspicious people wandering around your halls or flat
  • Register your belongings. Make sure you register any valuables on Immobilise. If they’re stolen and recovered, the police will be able to trace them back to you