Do you accept foreign driving licences?

Yes, if valid to be used in the UK. Please see below details.

EU and EEA (European economic area) licences are acceptable in the UK and do not need to be exchanged to a UK licence.

Licences from these countries can be exchanged for a full UK licence at any time. If you have not exchanged your licence within 12 months you must stop driving until the licence has been exchanged. This must be done within 5 years of arrival in the UK.


European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA)
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Cyprus (South), Republic of Ireland, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden.

Andorra, Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Gibraltar, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea (South), Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, United States of America, Zimbabwe .


Drivers from all other countries will be able to drive in the UK for up to 12 months but a provisional GB licence must be obtained and a driving test(s) passed before the 12 month period elapses.  If this has not been exchanged within the 12 month period, drivers would need to apply for a UK licence including taking a test.

Explore more frequently asked questions

Whether you want to change your details, make a claim or understand more about our products, you can find answers to FAQs by category.

Coronavirus updates, help and support

We're having to do a few things a little differently right now, here's all the latest information about our different policies, including COVID-19 specific frequently asked questions, and the best way to contact us.

FAQ search tool

Not found the answer you need yet? If you have a particular question, try our FAQ search tool.