Will my car insurance allow me to drive abroad?

If you’re planning to drive your vehicle in EU & EEA countries, Serbia, Switzerland and Andorra, you’ll need a Green Card to prove you have the insurance you need. It doesn’t matter what level of motor cover you have, including if your policy has a Foreign Use add-on.

You need to contact us at least two weeks before you plan to travel so we can issue you with a Green Card.  

You’ll also need a Green Card when driving from Northern Ireland to the Republic of Ireland.

Your insurance policy will provide the minimum cover required to drive your insured vehicle in most European countries, which is third party only cover. This covers your legal liability to others – for example, if you injure someone in a motor accident or damage their property – but wouldn't cover you for loss of, or damage to, your own vehicle. For this kind of cover you need to add Foreign Use.

Foreign Use is included as standard with an Aviva Online or AvivaPlus Premium policy. Or, if you have comprehensive cover with one of our other Motor Insurance products, you can add Foreign Use for an additional premium. It provides a similar level of cover to what you have in the UK when you’re driving in the countries listed in your policy booklet. Cover is valid for up to 90 days for one trip and up to six months during the year. 

How to get a quote to add Foreign Use onto your policy in MyAviva :

  1. Select the Your policies button at the top.
  2. Choose Details.
  3. Select Amend my policy.
  4. Under Excesses and additional covers choose ‘Yes’ to the Foreign Use option.

Or if you’re a new customer, simply add Foreign Use to your policy when you get a quote

Please note: Driving Other Cars (DOC) cover, courtesy vehicles, UK breakdown cover (Rescue Cover) and Motor Legal Services only operate within Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. Adding Foreign Use will not extend these covers outside of the UK.

If you intend to travel with your own car anywhere other than the countries in your policy booklet, please call us on 0800 056 2192.

Foreign Use is not available with an AvivaPlus Basic policy.   

For exclusions and further information please refer to the documents section for the policy you wish to view in MyAviva.

Explore more frequently asked questions

Whether you want to change your details, make a claim or understand more about our products, you can find answers to FAQs by category.

Coronavirus updates, help and support

We're having to do a few things a little differently right now, here's all the latest information about our different policies, including COVID-19 specific frequently asked questions, and the best way to contact us.

FAQ search tool

Not found the answer you need yet? If you have a particular question, try our FAQ search tool.