Frequently Asked Questions

Ask us a question

You asked: Will my car insurance allow me to drive abroad?

Your policy will automatically provide the minimum cover required to travel in most European countries, which is third party only cover. This covers your legal liability to others (e.g. if you injure someone in a motor accident or damage their property) but wouldn't cover you for loss of, or damage to, your own vehicle.

If you have comprehensive cover, this can be upgraded for an additional premium. You can get a quote to add this onto your policy by following the 'How to add Foreign Use' steps below. This upgrade matches your UK cover whilst driving abroad within these countries. Cover is valid for up to 90 days for one trip and up to 6 months during the year.

Please note Driving Other Cars ('DOC') cover is only applicable in the British Isles (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man). Adding foreign use will not extend this cover outside of the UK.

If you are travelling anywhere else other than the countries listed above, please call us on 0800 056 2192.

How to add Foreign Use:

This cover can be added in MyAviva. Once logged in follow the below steps:

  • Click the "Your policies" button at the top
  • Select "Details"
  • Click "Amend my policy"
  • Under "Excesses and additional covers" select yes to the Foreign use option.

For exclusions and further information please refer to the documents section of MyAviva on the policy you wish to view.

If you have an AvivaPlus premium policy you are covered comprehensively as standard. 

Did this answer your question?

Answers others found useful

Back to top