< AvivaPlus Home Insurance

Home Insurance for landlords

Protect your property – both inside and out

Covers your buildings and contents

Our Home Insurance for landlords covers the cost of rebuilds and repairs if your property is damaged. So you and your tenants can get back to normal as quickly as possible.

Unlimited contents cover

There’s no limit to the overall amount we’ll insure your contents for – so you don’t need to worry about being underinsured 1.

Alternative accommodation

We’ll cover the cost of your tenant’s accommodation or any rent you’re due if your home is damaged and can’t be lived in 2.

Finding and fixing leaks

If there’s a water leak causing damage to the home, we’ll cover up to £5,000 to uncover the source and make good afterwards.

Our cover explained

Whether you’re a first-time landlord looking at a buy-to-let investment or you’re managing a mini buy-to-let empire 3, you’ll want to be sure your property (and investment) are protected 4.

Our policy covers the costs of loss or damage to your building and contents in case of fire, subsidence, flooding and more. And you can choose from combined buildings and contents cover – or take them out separately.

If there’s damage to your home that means your tenants can’t stay there, we’ll arrange and pay for accommodation – or reimburse you for any lost rent – until your property’s repaired.

Here’s a breakdown of what’s covered by our combined Home Insurance.

What's covered

Cover for your bricks and mortar

Our Buildings Insurance covers damage to the structure of your property caused by things like fires, floods or theft, as well as subsidence, heave of land and landslip.

Permanent fixtures and fittings, such as fitted kitchens and built-in wardrobes are covered too, as are outside spaces like driveways, patios and gates.

Cover for your contents

Contents Insurance covers any household items you’ve put into the property such as furniture, carpets or appliances. It doesn’t cover your tenants’ belongings – so they’ll need to take out their own insurance.

The overall amount of contents cover you’ll get will be unlimited, insuring you for any damage to your belongings caused by fire, theft or flooding (with a maximum single item limit for valuables of £2,000) 1.

Replacement locks

We’ll cover costs of up to £1,000 for replacing locks to your home if the keys are lost or stolen. This covers external doors as well as any alarm systems or domestic safes.

Liability protection for injuries or damage

As the owner of a rented property, you’re legally required to compensate anyone who’s injured as a result of an accident, if you’re held liable. This also includes damage to their property.

We’ll make sure the costs are covered – with £5 million protection as standard – and if you need help, you can contact our legal helpline to get professional advice any time, day or night.

Additional cover for fixtures and fittings

While things like carpet and kitchen surfaces are protected from fire or flood damage by our standard combined cover, accidents still can happen.

This optional add-on to your policy covers:

  • Buildings – accidental damage to any fixed glass, sanitary fittings (like a bathroom sink or shower screen), service pipes and cables
  • Contents – accidental damage to non-portable home entertainment equipment, mirrors and glass in furniture (like cabinet doors or coffee tables)

Add this cover by selecting the ‘limited’ level of Accidental Damage cover when you get your quote.

We do offer an ‘extra’ level of cover – but this doesn’t cover tenant damage, so is designed for renters and owner-occupiers, rather than landlords.

What’s not covered

Unfortunately, we can’t cover everything – make sure you’re happy with what’s not covered before you get a quote. For example, we don’t cover theft or malicious damage to your contents or property caused by your tenants.

Make sure you take a look at our policy document to see full details of what's not covered. 

Read our policy wording (667.7 KB)


Looking for more cover?

We’ve got a range of options to help protect what’s important to you.

AvivaPlus Home Insurance

Combined Buildings and Contents insurance for home-owners.

Buildings Insurance

From porches to patios, our Buildings Insurance helps to protect the structure of your property.