Home Insurance for landlords
Protect your property – both inside and out
Covers your buildings and contents
Our Home Insurance for landlords covers the cost of rebuilds and repairs if your property is damaged. So you and your tenants can get back to normal as quickly as possible.
Unlimited contents cover
There’s no limit to the overall amount we’ll insure your contents for – so you don’t need to worry about being underinsured 1.
We’ll cover the cost of your tenant’s accommodation or any rent you’re due if your home is damaged and can’t be lived in 2.
Finding and fixing leaks
If there’s a water leak causing damage to the home, we’ll cover up to £5,000 to uncover the source and make good afterwards.
Our cover explained
Whether you’re a first-time landlord looking at a buy-to-let investment or you’re managing a mini buy-to-let empire 3, you’ll want to be sure your property (and investment) are protected 4.
Our policy covers the costs of loss or damage to your building and contents in case of fire, subsidence, flooding and more. And you can choose from combined buildings and contents cover – or take them out separately.
If there’s damage to your home that means your tenants can’t stay there, we’ll arrange and pay for accommodation – or reimburse you for any lost rent – until your property’s repaired.
Here’s a breakdown of what’s covered by our combined Home Insurance.
Cover for your bricks and mortar
Our Buildings Insurance covers damage to the structure of your property caused by things like fires, floods or theft, as well as subsidence, heave of land and landslip.
Permanent fixtures and fittings, such as fitted kitchens and built-in wardrobes are covered too, as are outside spaces like driveways, patios and gates.
Cover for your contents
Contents Insurance covers any household items you’ve put into the property such as furniture, carpets or appliances. It doesn’t cover your tenants’ belongings – so they’ll need to take out their own insurance.
You’ll get unlimited contents cover, insuring you for any damage to your belongings caused by fire, theft or flooding (with a maximum single item limit for valuables of £2,000) 1.
We’ll cover costs of up to £1,000 for replacing any locks to your home if the keys are lost or stolen. This covers external doors as well as any alarm systems or domestic safes.
Liability protection for injuries or damage
As the owner of a rented property, you’re legally required to compensate anyone who’s injured as a result of an accident, if you’re held liable. This also includes damage to their property.
We’ll make sure the costs are covered – with £5 million protection as standard – and if you need help, you can contact our legal helpline to get professional advice any time, day or night.
Additional cover for fixtures and fittings
While things like carpet and kitchen surfaces are protected from fire or flood damage by our standard combined cover, accidents still can happen.
This optional add-on to your policy covers:
- Buildings – accidental damage to any fixed glass, sanitary fittings (like a bathroom sink or shower screen), service pipes and cables
- Contents – accidental damage to non-portable home entertainment equipment, mirrors and glass in furniture (like cabinet doors or coffee tables)
Add this cover by selecting the ‘limited’ level of Accidental Damage cover when you get your quote.
We do offer an ‘extra’ level of cover – but this doesn’t cover tenant damage, so is designed for renters and owner-occupiers, rather than landlords.
What’s not covered
Unfortunately, we can’t cover everything – make sure you’re happy with what’s not covered before you get a quote. For example, we don’t cover theft or malicious damage to your contents or property caused by your tenants.
Make sure you take a look at our policy document to see full details of what's not covered.
Ready to get cover?
Visit our Home Insurance page to see full details of the cover we offer before you get started.
Looking for more cover?
We’ve got a range of options to help protect what’s important to you.
Home InsuranceCover for your buildings and contents – the full package.
Buildings InsuranceFrom porches to patios, our Buildings Insurance helps to protect the structure of your property.
Take a look at our latest news and guides.
26 Oct 2017
Take a look at our checklist to help you manage every step of the move to your new home.
26 Oct 2017
From damp patches to cracks in the walls, what to look out for when you’re out viewing homes.
26 Oct 2017
Take a look at our tips for keeping toddlers and little ones safe from household hazards.
26 Oct 2017
Our guide to insurance for first-time buyers including buildings, contents and life insurance.
18 Oct 2017
Take a look at our tips to getting started with home renovations and decorations.
Need help? Ask our chatbot
1. Limits do apply for certain parts of cover, such as single item limits for valuables or personal belongings. Valuables are: stamp, coin or medal collections, pictures, other works of art, items of gold, silver or any other precious metal, jewellery, watches and furs.
2. Applies to homes that are uninhabitable due to damage. After assessing your claim, we’ll cover costs and arrange, if needed, suitable accommodation until your home is ready to live in. Up to £80,000 or 20% of your sum insured if you’re claiming under Buildings cover or up to £10,000 if you’re claiming under Contents cover.
3. Cover available for a maximum of 3 let properties. Policies for each property sold separately. To cover more than 3 properties under one policy, see our Commercial Landlord Insurance.
4. Remember, there’s no legal obligation for landlords to have insurance, but if you have a mortgage on your property, your mortgage lender will most likely require you to take out insurance.
5. For our joint protection, telephone calls may be recorded and/or monitored. Calls to 0800 numbers from UK landlines and mobiles are free. The cost of calls to 03 prefixed numbers are charged at national call rates (charges may vary dependent on your network provider) and are usually included in inclusive minute plans from landlines and mobiles.