Contents Insurance for tenants

Protection for your prized possessions

Contents cover for renters

Our Contents Insurance is perfect if you’re a tenant or renting a property. It covers not just your belongings, but cash and train tickets too, so you can be confident your possessions are protected. 

Unlimited sum insured

There’s no limit to the overall amount we’ll insure your contents for – so you don’t need to worry about being underinsured 1.

Personal money

Covers cash in your home up to £750, including travel tickets, gift vouchers and phone cards.

Moving home cover

Simply tell us your new address and we'll cover you when a professional removal company is helping you move to your new home.

As a renter, you won’t usually need to worry about buildings insurance as this is normally your landlord’s responsibility. 

Our cover explained

If you’re renting your home, our Contents Insurance could help protect your prized possessions. It covers your gadgets, cash, clothes and furniture – even the food in your freezer – from fire, floods and theft.

And if you move home, you can take your cover with you. All you need to do is tell us your new address – so no need to start from scratch.

Here's a breakdown of what's covered by our Contents Insurance.

What's covered

Unlimited contents cover

There’s no limit to the total value that we’ll insure your belongings 1. So whether you’re a cuddly toy collector or a serial shoe-shopper, we’ve got you covered.

Your contents – including valuables up to a single item limit of £2,000 – are protected from loss or damage caused by fire, theft or flooding.

Extra personal belongings cover

If you have some big-ticket items that you’d like to insure, we can also help. We offer optional personal belongings cover that you can add to your policy to give you extra protection for your valuables.

This means you get broader cover for your valuables and you can specify the more expensive items worth more than £2,000, so they’re covered while you’re away from home – in the UK or abroad.

Outside of your home

There’s nothing like a British summer in the garden, glass of wine in hand, BBQ up and running. But no matter how careful you are, accidents can happen.

Our Contents Insurance also covers items you’ve temporarily removed from your home. This applies to items in your garden, up to £1,500, and up to £2,500 for items stolen from garages and outbuildings.

You’re also covered if you want to take things a little further afield, up to £5,000 anywhere in the UK. But, if you want a little extra protection, upgrade with our extra personal belongings add-on to stay covered anywhere in the world.

Personal money

We cover personal cash, as well as things like train tickets, gift vouchers and phone cards up to £750 if they’ve been stolen from or damaged in your home.

Food in your freezer

We’ll replace the food in your freezer if it breaks down (or you accidentally turn the power off...).

Optional accidental damage

This is an optional extra that you can add to your policy. While your standard cover protects you against things like fire and theft – accidental damage cover goes much further.

We offer 2 levels of cover – 'Limited' and 'Extra':

  • 'Limited' cover insures you against accidental damage to non-portable home entertainment equipment, mirrors and glass in furniture (like in cabinets or coffee tables)
  • 'Extra' cover insures almost all of your contents if they’re damaged accidentally– so no need to panic if you spill that glass of red wine on your cream sofa

To add this to your policy, simply select the add-on when you get your quote.

What’s not covered

Unfortunately, we can’t cover everything as standard – make sure you’re happy with what’s not covered, including:

  • Bicycles stolen from your garden (unless they were securely locked to an object that can’t be moved)
  • Any motorised vehicles, aircrafts, caravans or watercrafts
  • Misplacing or accidentally losing items 

Take a look at our full policy details to see full details of what's covered.

Read our policy wording (667.7 KB)

Ready to get cover?

Visit our Contents Insurance page to see full details of the cover we offer before you get started.

Looking for more cover?

We’ve got a range of options to help protect what’s important to you.

Home Insurance

Cover for your buildings and contents – the full package.

Buildings Insurance

From porches to patios, our Buildings Insurance helps to protect the structure of your property.

Home articles

Take a look at our latest news and guides. 

Contact us

Still need help? Give us a call.

0800 068 5984

Monday to Friday: 08:00 20:00

Saturday: 08:30 17:00

Sunday: 10:00 16:00

Important information

1. Limits do apply for certain parts of cover, such as single item limits for valuables or personal belongings.

2. For our joint protection, telephone calls may be recorded and/or monitored. Calls to 0800 numbers from UK landlines and mobiles are free. The cost of calls to 03 prefixed numbers are charged at national call rates (charges may vary dependent on your network provider) and are usually included in inclusive minute plans from landlines and mobiles.