What's the difference between an income protection policy and an Accident Sickness and Unemployment (ASU) policy?

Both are types of income protection that help to cover lost earnings, but there are differences.

When compared with income protection policies, accident, sickness and unemployment (ASU) policies:

  • usually have shorter deferred periods
  • cover redundancy
  • generally only pay out for a specific amount of time (usually up to a maximum of 12 months)
  • cover periods of temporary unemployment and incapacity
  • are typically cheaper

It's important to understand the difference between the two policies, so you’re confident you've chosen the right one. To buy our Income Protection Insurance, you’ll need to use a financial advisor, which you can find at unbiased.co.uk.

Explore more frequently asked questions

Whether you want to change your details, make a claim or understand more about our products, you can find answers to FAQs by category.

Coronavirus updates, help and support

We're having to do a few things a little differently right now, here's all the latest information about our different policies, including COVID-19 specific frequently asked questions, and the best way to contact us.

FAQ search tool

Not found the answer you need yet? If you have a particular question, try our FAQ search tool.