Frequently Asked Questions

Ask us a question

You asked: What's the difference between an income protection policy and an Accident Sickness and Unemployment (ASU) policy?

Both policies cover illness and accidental injury but an Accident, Sickness and Unemployment (ASU) policy also covers redundancy. ASU policies are designed to cover periods of temporary unemployment and incapacity.

ASU policies are typically cheaper than income protection and can often have shorter deferred periods. Whilst ASU policies will generally only pay out for a specified amount of time (usually up to a maximum of 12 months), after which a new policy would need to be arranged, an income protection policy can continue to pay until recovery, retirement or death.

It's important to understand the difference between the two policies and to be confident you've chosen the right one. If you?re unsure, you could speak to a financial adviser ? if you don?t have an adviser, you?ll find a list of local advisers at

Did this answer your question?

Answers others found useful

Back to top