Launched in 1984, the Stewardship funds have a proud heritage as the UK's first range of ethical funds. The funds are managed by our dedicated asset management company Aviva Investors.
The Stewardship team regularly engages with businesses held in the portfolios on matters related to the environment, society in general, and governance.
We exclude companies that don’t meet the ethical standards of the Stewardship funds or are harmful to society
We support companies that make a positive contribution to society
Better business practices
We encourage better business practices through shared ownership and dialogue
The value of your investments can go down as well as up and you may get back less than you originally paid in.
How it works
Our Stewardship funds have clear guidelines outlining the types of companies they can invest in.
The guidelines are applied using a three-layer process:
Negative social, ethical and environmental screens are used to exclude certain industries and companies from the Stewardship Funds. Please see the Stewardship philosophy document for details of the exclusions.
We engage with companies to encourage them to enact the best possible sustainability practices.
This has a number of components:
- Aviva Investors Annual Chair Letter – on an annual basis, Aviva Investors outlines a set of sustainability priorities that we expect companies to take into consideration. These are articulated in our annual letters to company chairs. The core elements of our expectations of our ‘People’, ‘Climate’ and ‘Earth’ Pillars outlined in the Chair letter are accompanied by Aviva Investors’ Sustainable Outcomes Programmes.
- Stewardship thematic engagement – we initiate targeted thematic programmes on specific issues to encourage companies the Funds invest in to improve practices where they fall short of our expectations or to push the boundaries of best practice in a specific area. These themes continued to be diversity and inclusion – advocating for inclusive cultures and diverse workforces – and plastics – supporting the circular economy.
- Reactive engagement – we may engage in response to controversies and issues on sustainability issues.
- Collaborative initiatives – we exert our collective influence with other stakeholders and encourage companies to participate in market-leading collaborative initiatives.
We monitor the performance of the Stewardship Funds against several ‘non-financial’ targets, including carbon emissions, the percentage of companies in the Funds with a set target to reduce emissions, as well as the percentage of companies in the Funds with a diversity policy and the average % of women on the board.
How to invest
Retirement planning with Stewardship
Whether you’re self-employed, employed, just starting to think about your pension planning needs or approaching retirement, there’s a range of plans to suit your needs.
You can choose to invest in Stewardship funds with some of our pensions. You can view up to date information on available funds online in our Fund Centre.
If you’re a group pension scheme member and have access to Membersite, you can check your Stewardship fund options there.
How Stewardship works
Discover the philosophy behind the Stewardship range of funds, how the funds are managed and how you can invest.
Find out more by downloading the full guide.
Aviva's Stewardship Funds
The Stewardship Funds invest responsibly and aim to help contribute to a better future. They are managed by our dedicated fund manager Aviva Investors on behalf of Aviva.
If you would like to find out more about which funds might be available to you as part of your pension scheme, please get in contact with us. You can look up the contact number here.
- Stewardship UK Equity
- Stewardship UK Equity Income
- Stewardship Managed
- Stewardship International Equity
- Stewardship Bond
- MyM Stewardship UK Equity
- MyM Stewardship UK Equity Income
- MyM Stewardship Managed
- MyM Stewardship International Equity
- MyM Stewardship Bond
For pension customers, we have created a Stewardship lifetime investment programme. In this programme, our customers are invested in the Stewardship Managed, Stewardship International Equity and Stewardship Bond Funds. We have created this programme to enable our customers to invest in funds – throughout their pension journey – whose objective is to try and make a positive contribution to the world around them.
A financial adviser can give you advice based on your situation, so it’s worth talking to them about your retirement or investment plans. If you don’t have an adviser, visit financial advice for more information.
Please remember the value of investments can fall as well as rise and is not guaranteed. This means you could get back less than you invest.