If you're a confident investor and want to take a hands-on role managing your investment, these options are for you.
If you’re choosing an investment option, make sure it’s suitable for your circumstances and level of risk you’re comfortable with.
Remember, that as well as the options below, your employer may offer different investment options specific to their scheme. For details of what these investment approaches are, check the information they’ve given you about their scheme.
Things to consider
We currently offer two types of investment approaches – Self-style and Phased Switching (which are explained below). They're both pre-determined investment paths through which we’ll automatically move your money between specified funds.
- We'll automatically move your money on set dates, regardless of market performance and economic conditions at that time. As a result, it may not move at a time that gives you the best return on your investment.
- These investment approaches work based on the age you’ve told us you want to retire. If you decide to take your retirement benefits from your pension pot earlier or later than your chosen retirement age, it may be worth reviewing how your money is invested.
- If you intend to change the way you take your retirement benefits or how you invest your money, we recommend you speak to a financial adviser to go over your investment choices.
- If you’re close to your chosen retirement age, there may be less chance for investment growth because you have less time to invest.
- Because you should aim for growth in the early years, and we aim to prepare for your retirement in later years, you could receive a lower return from the funds we move your money into than from the funds you were previously invested in. There's also a greater possibility that the investment return from the funds we move your money to may not cover your charges.
- Please remember, the value of your pension pot can go down as well as up, and is not guaranteed and you might get back less than the amount paid in.
- Whether a Self-style or Phased Switching investment approach is right for you will depend on your individual circumstances, so we recommend you speak to a financial adviser.
- We’ll write to you before we start moving your funds – and you can change your investment choice at any time.
Self-style Universal approach
Self-style Annuity approach
Phased Switching Universal approach
Phased Switching Annuity approach
View our funds
Remember to read all the important information before visiting our fund centre and viewing the entire range.
Take a look at our latest news and guides.
ISAs vs pensions
Explore the features and benefits of ISAs and pensions to help you work out what’s going to work hardest for your retirement savings.
How the State Pension works
Discover when you can claim your State Pension and how much it’s likely to be worth.
“The service I’ve received is 100%”
We helped Romano transition from running his business full-time to a comfortable semi-retirement.
Your decade-by-decade guide to pension saving
From getting started early to making tricky choices later on, we explain how you make the most of your pension evolves over time.
How annuity rates are calculated
Annuities give you a guaranteed income for the rest of your life. But exactly how much could you get?
Are you making the most of your pension tax relief?
Everyone’s entitled to tax relief when they pay into a pension. Even non-taxpayers. So, what can you pay in and how much tax relief will you get?
Explore financial advice with confidence
This short video explains how our financial advice service works, the value and benefits, and how easy it is to arrange a no-obligation chat to decide on the next step.
We've made a huge difference to Jennifer
Jennifer wasn't keen on taking financial advice at first. Find out how we changed her mind and soon put her in a much better financial position.
6 ways to take control of your retirement planning
When planning your retirement, there are lots of things to consider, so here’s a checklist to get you started.
Stop your pension from running out early
How to make your retirement savings last a lifetime when taking a flexible income using drawdown.
Flexible pension withdrawals: 7 factors to consider
With greater flexibility over our pension savings in retirement, there’s more to consider before making one of the biggest financial decisions of your life.
When could equity release be the right solution?
We explain the different options for equity release, looking at the pros and cons of lifetime mortgages and home reversion plans.
Understanding your pension statement
Learn how to read your pension statement to plan your finances, understand charges, explore your investments and more.
What is equity release?
Equity release is a big financial commitment, so understanding what it would mean for you and your family is really important.
The value of financial advice
Where do you begin when it comes to seeking financial advice? Explore the difference between advice and guidance, independent and restricted in our financial advice guide.
Find your lost pensions
If you think you may have lost track of a pension pot, you shouldn’t worry. There’s a free government agency here to help.